Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

It is a browser app.

With FF you can use the same login to a FF website which presents a somewhat slimmer version of the Ipad version of FF.

I prefer to plan on a PC; the Ipad lives in a box which goes to the plane when I go flying.

In the past I had a FF trial and since I didn’t have an Ipad then, I was testing just the PC version, and it had various issues but AFAICT is now a lot better.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think “personal” subscriptions can be put in a group in common (what you call “merged”) like that. But if you have one subscription (what you call “real”), then it gives access, for the same person, on the web site, PLUS on two iPads and one iPhone, or to web site PLUS one iPad plus two iPhones.

If one takes a business subscription, one can have several users and then each user has access on web site PLUS on two iPads, or on web site PLUS one iPad PLUS one iPhone.

The Jeppesen charts are not available from the website. They might be when they are bought through Foreflight (instead of from a Jeppesen account linked to the Foreflight account), I’m not 100% sure.

ELLX

If you purchase Jepp charts and then add/associate them to your particular device (e.g. iPad), you won’t see them in browser version of FF.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The Jeppesen charts are not available from the website

That I am not surprised about, looking at how much trouble Jepp went to make it near-impossible to print a whole airport to a PDF (or on paper) On an Ipad you can’t run a script but on a PC you can.

I don’t think “personal” subscriptions can be put in a group in common (what you call “merged”) like that. But if you have one subscription (what you call “real”), then it gives access, for the same person, on the web site, PLUS on two iPads and one iPhone, or to web site PLUS one iPad plus two iPhones.

AIUI, nothing stops two FF Ipads using the same login credentials. They will see each others’ flights, but one can live with that. Then it must surely work. Otherwise, a FF sub would have to be linked to the Apple device ID, which would be a PITA because you would need to contact FF when you replace your Ipad (I have had this on some apps and there is a risk of losing that app for ever if the vendor no longer supports it, and the device breaks).

One can debate the legality, but both Ipads will only ever be used in connection with one plane, and AIUI this is the criterion which Jepp have always used in their licensing. Maybe FF itself is different.

If I can think of this, lots of people must be doing it already.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

AIUI, nothing stops two FF Ipads using the same login credentials. They will see each others’ flights, but one can live with that. Then it must surely work. Otherwise, a FF sub would have to be linked to the Apple device ID, which would be a PITA because you would need to contact FF when you replace your Ipad (I have had this on some apps and there is a risk of losing that app for ever if the vendor no longer supports it, and the device breaks).

I don’t know about FF, but linking to a device ID is how it works with Jeppesen’s own JeppFD app. Maybe they’re not exactly using the device ID but some license file, but at least the effect is that a single license is limited to a single device and if you need to replace the device you do have to contact Jeppesen to have the license transferred. (Or it worked that way, they may have removed the app now like they said they would.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Nov 16:14
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK; I see that.

So one would need to have say a 2-device license.

I need to get my head around this scheme, because if I pay for Jepp I would want the terminal charts usable on both of them.

I vaguely recall that if you buy other basemaps e.g. the UK CAA VFR charts, those are visible on all the devices covered.

Administrator

When replacing any of the three devices utilized with a single Foreflight account, you delete the old device and add the new device online. It’s easy, takes only a minute or so, but you do have to delete one of three existing devices to open up a slot for the new device to log in with credentials.

As far as I know all subscribed features are available to all three devices – at the moment I have two iPads and my phone running FF on my account, but typically in the cockpit I use an iPad Mini as primary, with my phone available and running the same downloaded route. Both are also connected to ADS-B In traffic from a Stratus 2S which can feed multiple devices.

Yes it would be possible for another user to share your account (and all features) on the third device, but the cost of FF is low enough, and the annoyance of having somebody else having access to the account high enough, that I bet the only place it happens is in flight schools, with kids.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Nov 16:42

If you buy your Jeppesen charts through Foreflight, they will be available on all devices of this Foreflight pilot account, so on up to 3 iDevices, of which maximum 2 are iPads.

If you buy your Jeppesen charts through Jeppesen, then yes, the same pilot will need to use up two Jeppesen “seats” to have the Jeppesen charts on two iPads.

In all scenarios (personal or business licence), one pilot will pay only one Foreflight subscription to use two iPads.

ELLX

Don’t get me wrong, I think Foreflight is a good planning app, however today it chose a route from Oxford to Shoreham which I am sure led Heathrow ATC to chuckle and basically conclude NFW.

Autorouter provided what struck me as a sensible route via KENET which would be the preferred airways gate going southbound from Oxford. FF offered going eastbound via WCO RODNI (he of only fools and horses) and ABAVI (directly on the final track to Heathrow 09). I used FF to file and the little algorithms duly went ahead and validated what common sense suggested was a route that would not be accepted in practice. Despite Oxford ATC best efforts London/Computer said no and I proceeded OCAS.

For some reason Autorouter seems to be able to guess better gates into airways than FF. Perhaps FF prioritises perceived efficiency in planning on what will actually be accepted in practice?

I fear I will have to continue to hack FF using Autorouter to get sensible IFR routes.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I fear I will have to continue to hack FF using Autorouter to get sensible IFR routes.

Never rely on one tool if you have a toolbox that’s just common sense.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message