Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Airborne_Again wrote:

The Garmin nav databases are made by Jeppesen so Jeppesen decides on the VRP identifiers used by the Garmin navigators. Jeppesen also owns FF. It’s really surprising if the identifiers FF uses don’t match with the identifiers used in the nav databases.

They do, FF uses the internal designators of the database. No, AFAIK Jeppesen was split when Boeing got them and only part of the former JeppVFR staff moved to FF.

VRPs are a bit of a national heritage, don’t mess with tradition like ‘the red windmill’ or ‘the blue building where there used to be a bakery chimney’ or ‘Peters washing line’ etc … ;-)

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 18 Jan 15:04
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

No, AFAIK Jeppesen was split when Boeing got them and only part of the former JeppVFR staff moved to FF.

That rumor is not true. None of the Jeppesen VFR staff moved to ForeFlight. Jeppesen sunset the app in lieu of ForeFlight Mobile.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Jeppesen sunset the app in lieu of ForeFlight Mobile

Just one of the strategic errors Jeppesen has made in recent years

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Just one of the strategic errors Jeppesen has made in recent years

I disagree. Although the graphics of JeppVFR was quite pleasant to look at, it was one of the worst programmed piece of software ever developed and I guess upon evaluation they had very good reason to dump that approach.

Germany

JeppVFR died because

• in the US, FF was fine for VFR
  • in Europe, only Germans were willing to pay the ~€300 cost of MFDVFR (some of this offset by Germany charging for their VFR AIP) when the competition was ~€100

Jepp stopped development on it so despite having the best mapdata of all, the other apps overtook it in the “hand holding functionality” which most VFR pilots want nowadays. People tend to not read charts when flying; they want a graphical 3D presentation of where they can fly without getting busted (especially in the UK which is one of the two major markets in Europe).

However, in Europe, FF penetration will be capped by it being IOS-only. In the US, IOS is almost 100% of the market. In Europe, and especially the rest of the world, much less so. But Jepp will never license data to any vendor running Android, due to ease of bootlegging.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However, in Europe, FF penetration will be capped by it being IOS-only. In the US, IOS is almost 100% of the market. In Europe, and especially the rest of the world, much less so.

I think it would be correct to say that “IOS WAS almost 100% of the market” – Android is really picking up, including pilots.

Peter wrote:

But Jepp will never license data to any vendor running Android, due to ease of bootlegging.

More like they can’t be bothered with developing the same logic using a different programming language. :)

EGTR

Jepp just produce a database. No “code”. The data is almost identical across Flitestar, Flitemap, FliteDeck, JeppTC, JeppFD, and almost certainly FF. In fact the only difference between the Windows apps and e.g. JeppTC is (was) just 1 file.

FF is a power-hungry app and Android has lagged behind IOS for years in CPU power.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

FF is a power-hungry app and Android has lagged behind IOS for years in CPU power.

@Peter, I don’t think it has been correct for years.

EGTR

I have the same experience of Emir with FF.
I fly, I think, 70% IFR but I don’t see any major issue with FF VFR.
I kept FF and SkyDemon side by side for a while and once I got fully accustomed with FF for VFR I did not renew SD. And I did not regret it.
Only thing I’m missing of SD are the airport comments, which were nice to have. But I count on the EuroGA database and forum ;)
The VRP thing for VFR waypoints in FF can be annoying as they show up with that silly name on the nav log: in countries like Italy, when you have to give an estimated time to the waypoints to FIS, you have to think twice if you are looking at the correct one on the log to communicate the estimated time.
Other than that, for me FF has everything one needs for good VFR planning and flight execution in Europe.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

I don’t think it has been correct for years.

Would you be able to update this thread ?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message