Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SkyDemon with agitated track vector?

Guys, been observing the SD track vector being kinda twitchy on the last few flights. For instance this morning, whilst circumnavigating Stuttgart, glass smooth air on a steady heading, and the vector veers right or left on its own. Even on the 10NM scale as in the screenshots. As stated, it has been bad for a few weeks now, sometimes requiring presetting a heading on my HSI before initiating a turn, as the SD vector goes berserk during the turn itself…

AFAIK nothing’s been changed on my cockpit, still, wondering if I’m the only one with this annoyance, or is anybody else affected?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I noticed that as well on my last flights. But don’t have an explanation.

EDQH, Germany

Hmmm, curious. I’ve been seeing this as well, and in various parts of N Europe. I don’t recall seeing it before the last couple of weeks. It always returns to a steady heading in a second or two. This is with iPad and internal GPS. I will set two running in parallel on the next flight.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

This is with iPad and internal GPS

Same here.

Thanks for the feedback guys 👏🏻
Was wondering if that was all of the sudden specific to my own steed… let’s hope the umpteenth revision will return all to normal behaviour
My previous exchanges with SD were not really met enthusiastically, as they seem to be riding on the pedestal of success… good for them, alas for the users (for example still trying to kill that annoying auto-zoom feature for good, always seem to reappear sooner or later 👿)

Last Edited by Dan at 22 May 20:07
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Similar to this ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nope Peter… when the vector is stable (I’d say most of times), no problem.
I don’t have the US FF for comparison, but my GNX375 certified NAV. The problem being that all is mostly good, but then for no reason the vector seems to be acting up and become hypersensitive, or worse, having a mind of its own to the point of being a nuisance…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I see exactly the same erratic behaviour every now and again but I believe it started more than a few weeks back. I also had erratic GPS behaviour with Skydemon on an iPad Mini 5 as posted here:

I assumed it was the internal GPS and therefore purchased an external Garmin Glo 2 but I also see the odd bouncing around of track still

@Dino, thanks for chiming in, had not seen that we had had a thread on the same subject.
Funny you mention the iPad mini 5 since it could have been the start of that behavior since I’ve had it for a few weeks now, and was using a 4 before…

The way my iPad is positioned in my steed, clear canopy with open view on any cruising satellite, shouldn’t create any GPS reception problem. Your remarks confirm that it must be a SD sensitivity problem, maybe linked to the iPad’s internal sensors?

The erratic moves of the vector make precise navigation between chunks of restricted airspace a PIA for sure, wonder if SD are aware of the problem…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Completely agree that it makes navigating around restricted airspace a challenge.

I agree that it must be related to internal sensors and was reading something about this and in particular some of the IOS Location System Services. On a flight yesterday I had disabled “Motion and Distance Calibration” and I can’t recall seeing this.

I must admit I hadn’t raised anything with SD as couldn’t compare it to anything to say it’s SD or IOS Location Services in general

I run SD on both Android and iOS – never seen this. I’ll likely be running it on iOS this weekend on an iPhone 12.

Andreas IOM
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message