Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Why would I not want to see areas on the map that will be active by the time I get there? Even if my planning happens a day before?

I agree.
Would it not be better to allow this ‘ clutter ’ to be available as far in advance as is practicable; and then allow the ForeFlight program, or the pilot the ability to ‘UN-clutter’ at will?
Whenever faults or suggestions are raised on this forum concerning ForeFlight we are often told: “this is something we have on our list to explore further.”
Can it ever be disclosed:

• How long is the list?
  • And what is the time schedule for completion?
Last Edited by Peter_G at 02 Feb 10:51
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Directness is fine by me @Supersonic. I agree with your statement as well that you should be able to see areas you’re planning in advance and we need a method for that. That’s why we have it on our list of items to look into. I know that may sound like I’m pushing it to the side but please know it’s not meant to be.

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Hi @peter_g,

Unfortunately, we don’t share dates on when something will be started or completed. We also don’t share out a specific lists as it’s ever changing based on priority and severity. I can tell you that our support and Product teams funnel through requests everyday and have to help prioritize what the team works on which can be difficult with a global product.

I do understand the concern and yes I agree that there should be user control to add and remove from the map. It’s often easier said than done to ensure a feature such aa this is intuitive enough for users to understand these changes and how to control them which is why we tend exercise caution. I have it already marked on my personal task list to check in with the team that works on NOTAMs to see what levers we have to pull to build out specific requirements for the development and design team.

Because you mentioned, what would you consider a practical amount of time to see these NOTAMs in advance?

All the best,
Josh

Last Edited by Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight at 02 Feb 12:11
KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Because you mentioned, what would you consider a practical amount of time to see these NOTAMs in advance?

If I may comment. I don’t see why there should ever be a time limit. If you are planning a flight it is most likely because you intend to make the flight. Then you want to see all NOTAMs for the route and time concerned regardless of how far in the future the flight is.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Understood @airborne_again. So something between ETD and ETA plus some buffer regardless of how far in the future.

KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

So something between ETD and ETA plus some buffer regardless of how far in the future.

Maybe even without any time filter!

As a precautionary action during planning I would like to know that some area might become active at some point before or after my flight.

Imagine a scenario where you plan a VFR route through France with its myriadas of restricted areas. You might plan the route for a given time but might be forced to delay the flight e.g. due to weather. To know that an area in your flight path becomes active at a later point will be good to know: that way you would know how long you would be able to delay your flight using your existing flight plan!

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Supersonic wrote:

As a precautionary action during planning I would like to know that some area might become active at some point before or after my flight.

Makes sense. Appreciate the insight.

KGTU, United States

I do not understand this “feature” at all.

In the VFR world, and especially in the UK, you live and die by the CAA pilot busting man who forced mandatory MOR filing on ATC and everybody else. With FF, you have no useful advance warning so could end up on a flight where something suddenly appears, but actually it was published days before. Busting a RA is treated same as busting Class A or any other CAS. It is all the same. It is a policy designed to classify all infractions, regardless of effect, as top-level criminal behaviour. It is like busting a presidential TFR in the US.

So one needs to be able to plan a flight at home, well ahead.

So I use 3rd party websites like this one which sometimes doesn’t work…

FF has always struggled with having to use the same executable for the US as well as elsewhere. I’ve posted enough on this in the IFR context, where the Eurocontrol routing implementation is pretty weird as a result.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter,

I hear your frustration and I understand it. I will talk with the team. Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean I’ll have a solution as quickly as I know some would like and I apologize for that. I will work with the team and get this going. Appreciate the addition of the website for context.

Josh

Last Edited by Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight at 02 Feb 14:15
KGTU, United States

Supersonic wrote:

Maybe even without any time filter!

That makes sense up to a point. Maybe filter out NOTAMs not for same day?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message