Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Hi folks,

I know I have been absent for a while and I apologize for that. I wanted to let you know about a few things we have going:

• Today, we released Airspace Alerts for Controlled Airspace in ForeFlight 15.1 along with some other features that have been requested. Check out more here
  • Two big items I have folks working on still are Aerodromes, Glider Fields, Hang Gliders, etc. which do not have ICAO codes and full support for VRPs (being able to route and even file with them). Both of these include showing them by name anywhere we can today (flight plan drawer, navlog, briefing, etc.).The team is working hard to finalize support for both of these and I hope to have more of an update for you all soon. I know this has taken a long time, but I want to express my gratitude for the feedback all of you have provided over the years.

We have other foundational features in the works as well to better support Hours of Operations outside the U.S., more contact support, updates to how you can report fuel prices, and so on. We also are working to make our logbook more flexible and support requirements for EASA. My goal now is to make sure I know what else we need to look for to better support Europeans and make sure those are on our roadmap.

I’ll be popping in more often, but if you have any feedback, you can always tag me or send me a message.

All the best,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Nice to hear Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Two big items I have folks working on still are Aerodromes, Glider Fields, Hang Gliders, etc. which do not have ICAO codes and full support for VRPs (being able to route and even file with them). Both of these include showing them by name anywhere we can today (flight plan drawer, navlog, briefing, etc.).The team is working hard to finalize support for both of these and I hope to have more of an update for you all soon. I know this has taken a long time, but I want to express my gratitude for the feedback all of you have provided over the years.

Good to hear that those issues are being addressed!

What about the notice period for the display of NOTAMs? The current mechanic of them being displayed only two hours before activation is not quite satisfactory for a safe flight planning e.g. the day before the flight:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/6600-foreflight-merged-thread?page=148#

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Worrh a try out of flight sim!

Last Edited by greg_mp at 24 Jan 18:12
LFMD, France

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

full support for VRPs (being able to route and even file with them)
Filing named VRPs is not accepted in all countries, sometimes you’ll have to revert to coordinates.
ESMK, Sweden

Hi @Arne,

Yes, we will work on a solution for this as well. We already make adjustments to flight plans based on the countries they are being sent to as required. Are there countries in particular that come to mind so I can share with the team?

All the best,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

One thing I don’t understand is why I have to use autorouter to validate IFR at puddle jumper flight levels. For example I am filing ENTO to EGTK at FL100, autorouter provides a sensible route of around 620nm on the southerly SID. FF sends me towards the Shetlands adding around 10% track miles and far from the coast. Also I would have to limit the FL as the FF route is FL160.

Presumably the algorithm that speaks to Eurocontrol is similar but in my experience you always have to go through autorouter to get a sensible suggestion.

Perhaps FF is a turbine tool happiest above FL240?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Arne wrote:

Filing named VRPs is not accepted in all countries, sometimes you’ll have to revert to coordinates.

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Are there countries in particular that come to mind so I can share with the team?

According to ICAO standards you can’t use named VRPs in flight plans (unless they happen to have a 5LNC). So you should rather ask what countries do accept named VRPs.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jan 21:23
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

greg_mp wrote:

Worrh a try out of flight sim!
The new airspace warning is a good improvement, however, they still don’t display the frequency to call for clearance. Skydemon does this already for years…
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

The new airspace warning is a good improvement, however, they still don’t display the frequency to call for clearance. Skydemon does this already for years…

If you don’t keep some room for improvement, dev team will get bored… :P

LFMD, France

Well FF support team came back to me on two like for like comparisons between FF and autorouter

I got this which looks straight out of a chat bot

In my experience, it can be very small factors that change the outcome like winds aloft, aircraft load, etc. and we are happy to get your feedback.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message