Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Eurocontrol routings below about FL090 do not work in the UK and much of the rest of Europe. And if you get one to validate (which is easy in the UK) then ATC may not let you fly it… In fact the LTMA crossings are at FL090 and FL100, IIRC. When the Autorouter first came out, there was some hell let loose because people thought they could fly the routes I was an admin back then and was promoting it. One pilot emailed me afterwards, very angry, after he raised hell with ATC all the way across “middle England” at 4000ft

The exception to the above are pre-arranged FTO training flights, and, as we are frequently reminded, Sweden

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter thank you and great to see you at your welcoming homebase.

While Autorouter presented me with valid choices FF only presented invalid ones. Not a big problem to solve by FF, they just need to build in the UK gateway to airways waypoints into their algorithm.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Foreflight has been disappointing lately by not integrating data that is available into the app. An example is VFR chart coverage in Romania. It is freely and easily accessible from the authorities yet FF hasn’t georeferenced it, instead trying to sell you Rogers charts.

Sweden

That’s nothing new, I pointed them to Croatian VFR more than a year ago and still nothing happened. Instead of integrating whole package, they explained to me how to import these charts to FF manually.

Last Edited by Emir at 15 Jan 18:09
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

That’s nothing new, I pointed them to Croatian VFR more than a year ago and still nothing happened. Instead of integrating whole package, they explained to me how to import these charts to FF manually.

At least there is an quite easy way to get them in FF and even geo-referenced. In principle I am fine with the approach for an intermediate time and – don’t forget these Americans did improve vastly and still have a hard time to understand the chaos happening in Europe. Big problem for our European brains is the Agile approach to deliver by surprise instead of an old-fashioned planned roadmap, indeed. Just think of the poor VFR guys using SkyDemon – much more complicated effort to get custom content geo-ref’ed in SD.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 15 Jan 19:32
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

At least there is an quite easy way to get them in FF and even geo-referenced. In principle I am fine with the approach for an intermediate time and – don’t forget these Americans did improve vastly and still have a hard time to understand the chaos happening in Europe.

I agree but sometimes intermediate seems quite long from user’s perspective. However, for such small country like Croatia it’s much bigger development (and probably business) effort to integrate AIP VFR charts than to give support to each user who wants to integrate few approach plates into the app. So, yes I understand ForeFlight decisions.

MichaLSA wrote:

Big problem for our European brains is the Agile approach to deliver by surprise instead of an old-fashioned planned roadmap, indeed.

For someone who used to run multiple large software teams on agile governed projects, I believe I don’t have problems understanding their product cycle.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

MichaLSA wrote:

Just think of the poor VFR guys using SkyDemon – much more complicated effort to get custom content geo-ref’ed in SD.
In SD, you mostly don’t need georeferenced charts, as most information is already included in the vector base chart. In addition, Skydemon imports automatically all approach charts from Eurocontrol and they do make them all georeferenced in the app, which includes Croatia, Romania or even Belarus and Georgia! So there are just a few occasions when you want to add a special approach chart for some small aerodrome, which is not part of any AIP or a product like Avioportolano or so. But then again, Skydemon does show you all required approach information on their base chart as well, like traffic patterns, runway length, threshold, taxiways, c-office, windsock location, noise-sensitive areas etc. Also importing a custom PDF to a certain aerodrome, is easily possible. It’s just not possible for users to make them georeferenced, however this downside is not too big, because most information is already available on the base map.

It’s time for Foreflight to work hard on their VFR base map. It’s a joke you still need some georeferenced VFR chart, because their base map is practically useless VFR. My 2 cents.
Last Edited by Frans at 16 Jan 11:42
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

It’s time for Foreflight to work hard on their VFR base map. It’s a joke you still need some georeferenced VFR chart, because their base map is practically useless VFR. My 2 cents.

I would say they need to improve VFR services dramatically. I have cancelled my renewal

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t think I have seen airspace errors in FF, in the UK.

But for sure the world record for feature packing is held by SD and always will be because they have just one coder who can spend his life coding Stuff like if you are descending, to miss a corder of some 3D airspace boundary (a very common situation), SD shows a correctly extrapolated sloping line, whereas FF shows a horizontal line which gradually moves downwards while remaining horizontal.

FF are having to do everything with the same executable as they sell in the US.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

In addition, Skydemon imports automatically all approach charts from Eurocontrol and they do make them all georeferenced in the app, which includes Croatia, Romania or even Belarus and Georgia!

If it imports from Eurocontrol then it does it exactly the same as ForeFlight which means no VFR plates for Croatia. If it imports charts from national AIPs then it can get what’s available there which, in case of Croatia, means both IFR and VFR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message