Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Peter_Mundy wrote:

It is shown on the SkyDemon chart

WST is not in the current Jeppesen database in Ireland. It may no longer be valid. I can research if I have more information. Is it a VOR/DME? Is it a waypoint? What are the coordinates?

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

WST is not in the current Jeppesen database in Ireland. It may no longer be valid. I can research if I have more information. Is it a VOR/DME? Is it a waypoint? What are the coordinates?

It is an Aerodrome (A) VOR/DME, exists in current Ireland AIP:
http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/GEN/EI_GEN_2_5_EN.pdf

EGTR

LIFFY was the other.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But unlike WST, LIFFY can be manually inserted

WST is a VOR at EIWT and I am sure it’s been there for a while. I got a photo of it this morning. But Jepp data (this is Flitestar) doesn’t show it so maybe it has been decommissioned, while Eurocontrol is still using the waypoint

Administrator

Our data team is checking with Jeppesen data to determine why WST VOR-DME is not listed in our DB. I will update once I get an answer. As far as LIBBY is concerned, there are two waypoints in our data, one at the Shannon/London FIR boundary and the other is in Tasmania. The route context matters, so if you delete WST from the route, you should get the nearest one at the EGTT/EISN FIR boundary.. So EIWT WST LIFFY … where WST is the Fix in Australia, you will get the one in Tasmania, but if you remove the Australian waypoint WST and just enter EIWT LIFFY … will get you the one at the FIR boundary. IOW the context matters. The issue is that WST is not in the database as the VOR-DME near EIWT.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

Curiously not in my KLN94 database

Undoubtedly because Jeppesen Navdata does not include it.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Peter wrote: Curiously not in my KLN94 database

Undoubtedly because Jeppesen Navdata does not include it.

It is not in the DB for the Garmin trainer either…

EGTR

The WST VOR

No way LIBBY should be presented in any GA context. Not even a B777ER could reach it

Administrator

ForeFlight supports the world. Airports have identifiers that can be disambiguated because of IATA or ICAO identifiers. There is no international standard for assigning identifiers for navigation facilities, waypoints, or airways. So the context matters. When WST is used, it is either identified in Australia because there is a waypoint using that identifier or in the US, because their is an airport that uses that identifier as the FAA airport ID. ForeFlight supports military flights that include refueling in flight and will generate errors if the route is not disambiguated to produce a viable route for a specific aircraft type based on its performance. The context for LIFFY is based on the preceding fix. If the preceding fix is in Australia, then the LIFFY in Tasmania makes sense. If the preceding fix is in Ireland, then the LIFFY at the Shannon/London boundary makes sense. Pilots can override the choice if it exists in the database by entering it graphically, either using the map or entering the fix in the search window and seeing all the possibilities.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Our data team is checking with Jeppesen data to determine why WST VOR-DME is not listed in our DB.

I’ve raised a case with Jeppesen and they provided the following answers very promptly:
1)
thank you very much for your inquiry regarding WST VOR/DME. Indeed there is a reference to WST VOR/DME on AIP page EIWT AD 2.22 FLIGHT PROCEDURES. Unfortunately there are no details for this VOR/DME published, neither on AIP page EIWT AD 2.19 RADIO NAVIGATION AND LANDING AIDS nor on ENR 4.1 RADIO NAVIGATION AIDS.
The absence of WST VOR/DME on the above mentioned pages indicates that this navaid is no longer available. Because of that and due to the missing information it is not possible to include WST VOR/DME in our NavData for the time being.
We have however initiated a clarification to the CAA Ireland in order to clarify whether this navaid is still active or not. Depending on their feedback will take the necessary actions.
Thank you for your understanding.

I then provided the information linked in this thread on GEN 2.5. Jeppesen responded as follows:
2)
Thank you very much for the provided information. There are unfortunately several issues. The GEN 2.5 is considered a secondary source information for radio navigation aids only as it does not contain all relevant information, e.g. no coordinates, no channel number etc. Even though the coordinates are published on the station declination page you’ve provided, it does not contain the channel number and it’s not specified whether the station declination is East or West. In order to avoid searching for all those information scattered all over different pages in the AIP it is required to have all radio navigation aids either published in AD 2.19 or ENR 4.1 with all relevant information. Also GEN 2.5 indicates that WST VOR/DME is a Terminal navaid (purpose ‘A’) but this navaid has been withdrawn from EIWT AD 2.19 with the AIP Amdt 001/21, EFF 28 JAN 2021. As the currently valid GEN 2.5 page is dated with 08 OCT 2020, the information in EIWT AD 2.19 is more current. Because of all those inconsistencies the clarification to the CAA Ireland has been sent and we’re awaiting their feedback. In case they confirm that WST VOR/DME is still in use, and as soon as it is published in either AD 2.19 or ENR 4.1 again, we will add it to our NavData.

So there seems to be inconsistencies due to WST being withdrawn from EIWT AD 2.19.

Let’s see how the CAA responds to Jeppesen.

Last Edited by chflyer at 15 Aug 07:21
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message