Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Frans wrote:

It’s time for Foreflight to work hard on their VFR base map.

I don’t believe this is going to happen any time soon because VFR pilots are not their primary targets.

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I would say they need to improve VFR services dramatically.

Besides VFR plates what else is missing that VFR pilot needs? I don’t have much experience with SD and my flying is mainly IFR but whenever I filed Y or Z plan, I found sufficient information in FF to perform visual takeoff or landing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t believe this is going to happen any time soon because VFR pilots are not their primary targets.

Foreflight is used by anybody and everybody in the US, but you may be correct that VFR pilots in Europe specifically are not their target.

In the US detailed VFR approach procedures don’t exist, so there’s no need for ‘plates’, and like many others I prefer to use the FAA sectional as my FF chart, not a vector map created by FF or others. So for sure my own fairly typical VFR use of FF requires less data.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Jan 15:34

If it imports charts from national AIPs

I doubt FF does that because it would mean custom-scraping lots of websites, rather than just using the Eurocontrol B2B sub which (AIUI) enables you to create a local mirror of the whole 20-30GB site, legitimately. Many years ago I was involved on a project which did that, somewhat less legitimately

Custom-scraping is what e.g. SD will be doing to get data on small airfields.

VFR pilots in Europe specifically are not their target.

I suspect Europe is a lot of work for not a whole lot of revenue, because the main users will be in countries which readily accept products with an “english” pedigree, which rules out some big ones. But also in certain countries there is not much need for “satnav”, due to short distances typically flown.

VFR in the US is easy enough – up to 17999ft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My impression is that for VFR in Europe, you pretty much have to pay for SkyDemon. And for IFR everyone seems to agree that FF is the way to go. Guess you just have to pay for both. And Jepp charts as well. Sigh.

For VFR just in France, SDVFR works extremely well, though I’ve heard rumours that it is no longer supported and that the author is working on something else.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

I doubt FF does that because it would mean custom-scraping lots of websites

No, it means making an IP redistribution agreement with every CAA and then one gets the data in an as structured way as with Eurocontrol. It is just that many times the process instead of just one.

ELLX

johnh wrote:

And for IFR everyone seems to agree that FF is the way to go

Not really – you have to buy an extra device for FF, so for me it would be SD for everything… If I need Garmin connectivity, might have to use Garmin Pilot.

EGTR

Not really – you have to buy an extra device for FF, so for me it would be SD for everything

What do you mean an extra device? I run FF on my (ancient) iPad Mini 4 without any extra hardware.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

What do you mean an extra device?

One needs an Apple iDevice, which if one doesn’t already have (because one uses an Android pocket computer or tablet), is “an extra device”.

ELLX

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I would say they need to improve VFR services dramatically. I have cancelled my renewal

Hard to say. If EASAland remains mainly VFR flying in GA, you may be right. If regulations still proceed as it has the last decades, most of the ‘frequent flyer’ will go IFR anyways. Why is everybody so keen on enabling FF base map for VFR? Getting AirMillion VFR charts for FF does a pretty good trick and you can have your paper backup show the same as your moving map. Yes, airspace warnings are still missing and colours of the profile view are not the best chosen, but otherwise it is doing its job (Just to mention it, the traffic and airport patterns were in the base map before SD adopted it). Btw, I am still not sure whether I renew FF too, as 2023 will not be much IFR flying and the latest cost raise is brutal, but I got used to FF (still have SkyDemon as backup solution anyways).

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 16 Jan 18:33
Germany

Btw, I am still not sure whether I renew FF too, as 2023 will not be much IFR flying and the latest cost raise is brutal, but I got used to FF (still have SkyDemon as backup solution anyways).

Here’s another who will not take up FF in 2023.
If FF thinks it can flourish in Europe on the 3% private pilots that flies IFR, good luck to them.
I fly each year 50/50% IFR & VFR.
To fly VFR in Europe, I MUST have good VFR material.
I have waited 5 years for FF to supply this: To no avail.
To fly VFR in Europe I find SD invaluable.
I can fly IFR in Europe using SD adequately ; but I can’t do the reverse in FF.
Hence my decision to not take up FF in 2023.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message