Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Not really because often one departs early in the morning.

Most area notams (RAs etc) are published days ahead. And many are effectively permanent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although the situation on the British Island is quite harsh it still is an issue in whole Europe. I had notammed airspaces in my way in a lot of countries.

I want to add that the presentation of and warnings before airspaces as well as missing glider fields (that may serve as prime outfield landing site in case you need one) are the two main features I miss in FF. I tested FF in December on several flights and for flight preparation. I used FF on one tablet and Skydemon on the other. But my outcome is that I don’t get the same level of situational awareness like in Skydemon. Whenever I fly I try to know where I could land in any moment (that is a result from my time flying gliders) and also I want to know the exact whereabouts about airspaces around.

Skydemon is a Tool that I can use extensively e.g. even for a low-level alps crossing. It even shows exactly the nature reserve zones where incredibly high fees may have to be paid if one enters one of these.

Other than that FF has some cool features for flying IFR. But for me it doesn’t compensate.

Germany

Why not have a setting for the time span?

E.g. my personal preference would be to see all NOTAMs without any time restrictions, as long they’re published.

ESME, ESMS

The latest FF release seems to have some improvement for printing groups of plates (binder in FF terminology). I haven’t tried it yet, but may be worth a closer look for those who like to print off a trip pack as was possible with JeppView, I believe.
ForeFlight Blog for January

LSZK, Switzerland

Interesting. Their binder printing example shows Jepp plates

while Jepp have carefully ensured that this capability was not available on any of their own apps (all IOS-only) to limit bootlegging (sharing via PDFs).

Administrator

Today I was unable to load the LFAT departures to overlay the map. Only a Print option was displayed.

What causes the block for a procedure to be usable as a map overlay?

The procedures have been superseded very recently; maybe that blocks their use over a map, but that seems overly controlling. There should at least be a message saying why.

Administrator

Hi @Peter,

Looks like LFAT does not have georeferenced departures . This typically occurs when there aren’t enough points that are to scale which is why they won’t overlay on the map. Approaches are typically the only charts that will be to scale reliably enough to georeference and show on the map. If you think something else might an issue, best to reach out to [email protected] to investigate further.

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Ah yes; good point. Most SIDs/STARs are not to scale so cannot be overlaid.

Administrator

Hey y’all!

Hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to send a quick message before the weekend to let you know you’re going to want to be looking for the next version of ForeFlight that is scheduled to come out next week. There are some updates I know more than a few of you will appreciate :) Can’t say more at the moment, but I’ll post once we have an update.

Have a good weekend,
Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Good to hear but I will wait to renew until this NOTAM problem is fixed. I think it’s a big oversight to have NOTAMs not displayed during the planning stage and makes visual NOTAMs virtually useless.

Yes, I’m at that yearly disappointment where FF makes me pay full price (while occasionally offering discounts to new users) for being a dedicated user and someone who constantly preaches the gospel of FF to other pilots/management at my job.

Sweden
Sign in to add your message