Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

What does it cost these days?

Ten years ago, when I lived in Switzerland, I used to pop over to Samedan from Sion and have a piece of cake and coffee when the weather was nice and I had nothing better to do. Landing for Cirrus used to cost something like 30 SFR IIRC. Something tells me that has changed?

Paul

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 29 Dec 21:05
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

I just arrived, had a wonderful lunch with a friend who is there on vacation, paid and left again.

Did anyone check your credentials?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Buckerfan wrote:

What does it cost these days?

It depends but the chargees have not changed for 10 years:

http://www.engadin-airport.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Tarife_fuer_Handling_-_ab_1.12.09.pdf local copy

http://www.engadin-airport.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Tarife.pdf local copy

In winter for a 1-2 ton aircraft it is 64 CHF for the landing on a national flight and 128 CHF on an international flight including 4 hours parking (thereafter 80 CHF per day). Plus 10 CHF per passenger, all plus VAT.

But the charges ramp up fast for bigger aircraft and services:
- Avoid handling, sometimes they will walk to the plane and ask if “you need something”. I am not sure if they will warm you of the high charges if you say yes as I always send them away asap. Starting at 4ton handling is mandatory though.
- If your plane is longer than 12m (for example Citation Mustang) you are charged for fire fighting starting at 300 CHF.
- If you are heavier than 3 tons parking is 210CHF / day.
- Hangar, deice etc. is all very expensive is requested.

My bottom line is that up to 3 tons it is alright for the great experience but above that it gets into 4 figures fast. But they do not make up charges. You fly there 10 times and pay 10 times the same amount.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 29 Dec 22:07
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Buckerfan

In an SEP, on an international flight, with one pax, in winter, the landing costs about 150€.

This includes only two hours of parking. If you stay one minute longer (up to 24h) it costs another 80€. We stayed 2.5h, and had to pay, so about 230€ total. We knew that, but just didn‘t want to rush, and enjoyed the time there.

In summer, the landing fee is a bit lower. But the place is not so special in summer. In winter, with all the snow, the skiers all around the place, and that crystal-clear cold mountain air at an elevation of 5600 feet, it‘s unique and not comparable to any other alpine airport.

Anyway, for the average pilot, these fees are not the biggest problem. The problem is the familiarization, which, between aircraft rental, instructor fees and airport fees, will cost several hundred Euros more. Logistics and time loss apart.

@Airborne_Again

No. As Sebastian said previously, they don‘t seem to do that. But that‘s normal. When someone flies into any regular airport, the staff won‘t ask him to show his PPL either.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I guess, the familiarization discussion is only relevant when bending something (even when all boxes are already ticked)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How much GA parking do they have?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How much GA parking do they have?

For small aircraft in the winter they have the snow parking on the west side which is hard snow over gras. Small seems to mean anthing including Citation XLS. On the other side they have concrete for the big planes and I have seen them towing the really big ones (Boeing BBJ) to the taxiway and closing that down for parking.
I usually call the day before and ask about the parking situation. Usually no problem at all only when the snow melts the snow parking is not available and the reamining hard parking can be a problem. Most bigger planes are charters so they just disembark passengers and leave.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

St Moritz in summer is just beautiful, lots and lots of very nice hiking routes available – Corvatsch to Surlej or Choaz hut, or more demanding stuff like from Pontresina up to the Bernina group, or over Diavolezza, down to Poschiavo, and many more…. as well as fishing, sailing and surfing on one of he lakes, Best time for skiing is perhaps February and March, when there’s ample snow and the sun is shining all the time. It’s worthwhile to watch the horserace on the lake, or the Bob championships, or the skeleton sleigh races, and much more.

So, always a reason to fly there.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Hi,

I am planning on flying to Samedan on early July. I’m flying a PA-46 310P so it’s a Cat A.
Having read the documentation, an online test + FI fam is necesarry but it also says that you can perform this fam flight after your landing. What is the point of this? I will just arrive and depart, is it necesarry to have the fam flight if I’m just flying back home?

Thx

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

From here

At some point the only GA thing that can fly in Switzerland airspace & aerodromes is PC12* even certified aircrafts don’t seem to “have what it takes”: in terms of GPS/INS navigation accuracy & SID/IGS gradient performance to cope with the place, they need to get recertified by FOCA for IFR in Switzerland…

*Maybe two or three F5 & F18 in formation flown by one of our missing EuroGA member “who seems to have what it takes”

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jan 22:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message