Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

Kathmandu VNKT requires 60M USD third party insurance, training approach procedures in a simulator and confirmation of english proficiency.
Ah, and Courchevel LFLJ only requires doing some landings ;-)

LPFR, Poland

Sion LSGS
Nothing needed for VFR approach, just for the IAPs

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

We should add LFGX Champagnole to the list of unremarkable lowland airfields which “require” special training/qualification.

Are Germany, France and Switzerland the only nanny-states which go in for this kind of nonsense?

Last Edited by Jacko at 29 Nov 21:45
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Are Germany, France and Switzerland the only nanny-states which go in for this kind of nonsense?

No, I got qualified for Tioman Island in Malaysia (WMBT) a few years ago…one-way strip with a mountain (large hill) at one end!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioman_Airport

Its claim to fame is that it was the location for the filming of South Pacific many years ago….

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 30 Nov 05:44
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

JasonC wrote:

LSZH, Zürich. Online test.
For VFR flights I believe only.

Correct.

Jacko wrote:

I agree that a lot of these things are unnecessary particularly for light airplanes. Nobody who has a current license should need this kind of additional qualifications in most cases.

However, there are places where that is not entirely true. Courchevel and the likes are not your round the mill airfield but there I perfectly understand why training is quite useful. In some cases, online training is also not a bad thing and may well give very useful information such as the one for Zurich, where VFR is barely tolerated and any form of deviation causes instant reprecussion to all others. The tests involved usually are there to cover the asses of the airport operators, who have been criticized following accidents or incidents. That is particularly true in places like Samedan.

Where I am totally opposed to is obligatory flight training unless the airport really is completely out of the ordinary, as for instance Courchevel and similar sites or IFR where the approach is significantly non standard, such as i.e. Lugano or Sion with 6 degree glide slopes and (LUG) rather hairy circling procedures.

Unfortunately, more and more airfields and airports are going in this direction or trying to. Motivation for this vary, in most cases it is to show to the relevant CAA that they are “doing something”, but in other cases also to discourage GA from using the facility by introducing additional hassles.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Qualifications here are lots of money,time to spare and a good stomach.

LGGG

EDFM – Mannheim, Germany

for IFR approaches, training is required.

EDMA, Germany

AnthonyQ wrote:

No, I got qualified for Tioman Island in Malaysia (WMBT) a few years ago…one-way strip with a mountain (large hill) at one end!

I’ve flown into Tioman as pax. Interesting to say the least. That was 10-15 years ago and at that time there was commercial traffic. (With DHC-7, IIRC.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Nov 19:02
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In France, every “altiport” (moutain airfield) and “altisurface” (mountainous landing surface) requires a special qualification. Either a “mountain qualification” or a “airfield qualification”.
The first one grants access to all “altiports” and “altisurfaces”.
The last one grants access to a specific field.

The only list of Altiport (Mountain Airfield) I found is on wikipedia :
Alps :
Alpe d’Huez
Corlier
Courchevel
Megève
Méribel
La Motte-Chalancon
Valloire

Pyrénées :
Aleu
Peyragudes

French Polynesia :
Ua Pou (îles Marquises)

LFBZ, France

Er, yes, but (splitting hairs) Aleu and Valloire are altisurfaces (with no ICAO code), and the newly renovated altiport at Peyragudes is formally called Peyresourde Balestas LFIP.

There are other French airports like LFHZ, LFKD, LFKE and LFJF which are restricted to mountain-qualified or site-trained pilots, and although they lack the other essential characteristics of an altiport, that’s what the AFPM calls them.

The relevant statutory instrument is here, albeit in French.

Incidentally, the AFPM website shows Zar (Poland) as “restricted use”, in that one has to follow or be accompanied by a Polish-speaking pilot, is that correct?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message