Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

Jacko wrote:

Incidentally, the AFPM website shows Zar (Poland) as “restricted use”, in that one has to follow or be accompanied by a Polish-speaking pilot, is that correct?

I haven’t been there, so only some info from AIP:
Airspace class G
Żar RADIO 128.8 PL
Aerodrome available for public use – not subject to certification.
Before arrival, pilots are obligated to consult with aerodrome operator in order to inform about arrival and to inquire about conditions to perform safe operations at the aerodrome because of RWY slope.

More info: http://ais.pansa.pl/vfr/ (registration required)

LPFR, Poland

Thanks loco. One day, perhaps, I should turn right after leaving Nurnberg and visit Poland on my way home…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

How much work is involved in maintaining these qualifications, especially as most of the flying takes place only in the winter when people are going skiing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are several specific GPS approaches that need special authorisation, they appear as RNP-AR
Stockholm has one.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@Peter,
From here, the French qualification montagne is valid for as long as the holder’s licence is valid.

Get it while you can, because…

For an FCL.815 mountain rating the rules have been (surprise, surprise) gold-plated by some EASA politburo stuffed with control-freaks:
(d) Validity. A mountain rating shall be valid for a period of 24 months.
(e) Revalidation. For revalidation of a mountain rating, the applicant shall:
(1) have completed at least 6 mountain landings in the past 24 months; or
(2) pass a proficiency check. The proficiency check shall comply with the requirements in (c).

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks, Jacko.

Doesn’t the EASA reg overrule the French national one, so even if you get it one, it will change to one that expires every 2 years?

Administrator

Does anyone have an update on the Samedan checkout procedure? I found a PDF here which is probably current for VFR.

Administrator

There is now an instrument-approach available, and that meant that all online trainings have expired, and everyone has to repeat the online training (which will then be valid for 2 years again). Their email didn’t say anything about the requirement on having instructor-led flight, so I’d assume that is unchanged, and still required.

LSZH, Switzerland

The online training is still required. The introduction flight needed for Cat A aircraft can now be done with a local FI after first landing, rather than the previous ludicrous need for the instructor to travel to the pilot who could then fly to Samedan with the instructor for the landing/introduction.

The current situation per Sep/2019 can be found here local copy

See the table on page 7. A lawyer could have a field day challenging the desired vs actual meaning of the clumsy English.

LSZK, Switzerland

Many thanks.

Let me get this right… you need a flight with an instructor but you can do that after you landed there? How does that work?

Is there an English version of the PDF? I see page 7 is in English but the rest isn’t.

Is there an instructor based there, roughly how much does he charge, and where do you fly with him/her? I heard €200 from another pilot who did this but that was a while ago.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message