Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

LFFK is a CAP airfield.

France

Somewhere, I do have the feeling that many airfields in France with “restricted” status are used by more than just the authorized pilots. Take for example those airfields in the French Alps. Maybe not Courchevel, as that airfield is really challenging and many people do have respect for it, but more “easier” ones like Albertville, Saint Remy, Sollieres or maybe even Megeve. I’ve heard several times people claiming to have been in Albertville, without complying with the rules there and they always got away with it. (At least according to their stories, but I think they are authentical…) Sure, I’m not better than anybody else, but just land on a restricted airfield without caring about the rules?! Sounds a bit odd to me. Does really nobody care about illegal use of those aerodromes?

Don’t think I need to try such behavior in Germany, for example on the Wasserkuppe, which is a lot easier than many alpine aerodromes. But I’m sure I get some real issues if I would land there without a familiarization flight.

Last Edited by Frans at 13 Jan 20:48
Switzerland

gallois wrote:

LFFK is a CAP airfield

The IAP is restricted

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

I’ve heard several times people claiming to have been in Albertville, without complying with the rules there and they always got away with it. (At least according to their stories, but I think they are authentical…)

The restaurant in Albertville (fantastic place in summer, really excellent views and good food) needs to make a living ;-). Go for lunch and then go pay for the landing fee and you get waved off by the friendly guy who collects the landing fee (an employee municipale ;-). Albertville is honestly NOT such a difficult place to fly into and when I was doing my PPL I think it was one of the first places I went solo…

Not advocating anyone to not follow the rules just to go on record and say that. I did go to Albertville with an instructor many times during my PPL (which now isn’t allowed anymore for training)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Worth noting the Albertville is of the kind which merely requires an instructor signoff. Note that this does not necessarily require any training or even a flight. Just a signoff. So, if you know an instructor who is confident that you can do it safely, you can always ask that instructor to drop you a line via email before you go.

The explains why this requirement is not enforced routinely, because it is trivial to get the signoff. It only ever comes into play when something happens. And since something can happen anytime, many instructors will be reluctant to just sign people off like that, because that instructor could be drawn into it, unless he can demonstate that he did what he could in order to ensure that the pilot would not mess up.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The explains why this requirement is not enforced routinely, because it is trivial to get the signoff. It only ever comes into play when something happens.

Even at Courchevel or Samedan nobody ever asks about the authorization if you behave properly. But I am sure if something goes wrong they will look at all the details and I am told they will even look at the past if you did some illegal landings before.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

There are many rumours and some people exaggerate a little to try as a means of persuasion to obey the rules.
But yes if something goes wrong there may be a lot of people looking at your experience.

France

Sebastian_G wrote:

Even at Courchevel or Samedan nobody ever asks about the authorization if you behave properly. But I am sure if something goes wrong they will look at all the details and I am told they will even look at the past if you did some illegal landings before.

That could well be. The PA46 pilot community has a bit of experience with “Courchevel” and “something going wrong”….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Something actually went wrong at La Mole, and now you have to be endorsed on the plane you plan to use there reacting to the following accident. I think it’s the same on Courchevel, and I have no idea on Samedan. Except Courchevel that obviously require mountain training, these are just airfield in a valley, and would be easy most of time.
The accident: https://www.bea.aero/les-enquetes/evenements-notifies/detail/accident-du-cessna-525-immatricule-d-iuli-survenu-le-06-06-2018-a-saint-tropez-83/

Reading the accident story, you can guess that sometime, people do not respect elementary safety rules (the lading distance here…), so it is useless to add rules, there will always be cowboys and accident.

LFMD, France

I wondered why La Mole was restricted. Honestly it’s a crazy story and just a**-covering by the airport to make it so restricted. It sounds pretty crazy to try and get a Citation in there even under perfect circumstances, never mind in pouring rain and with marginal viz.

For small GA planes like ours, it looks like a total non event. 25% more runway than Palo Alto, the busiest small plane airport in the world (so they say).

But all you need is an “aerodrome reconnaissance” with an approved instructor. I’m not quite sure what that means but it doesn’t seem to imply you need to land there, just fly somewhere in the vicinity.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message