Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Brindisi next week - AvGas stop on Adriatic coast

Ok so self serve pumps are immaterial since someone has to be there anyway

But that’s only because the vendor is too stupid to make the menus and button labels in multiple languages. At a number of places I went to in 2015, the pump correctly identified my UK AIR BP card as English but presented the menus in French or German because that’s where I was.

In the 21st century no software developer would do that (bank ATM machines get it right, or offer a language menu) so I assume this must have been requested by the local operator to drive the point home to the visiting pilot about which country he is in.

Then you get the French TOTAL-card-only machines which is another finger-up to visiting pilots, given the, ahem, “special procedure” involved in obtaining the TOTAL card, decades after the rest of the world has moved to Visa and Mastercard. So, the airport has to employ a guy (whose fully costed post in France will be about €100k) with a TOTAL card who shoves it into the machine for you and then you pay somewhere else….. with your Visa card He is a fireman, which is great because it makes him look busy, which is important since there are probably no fires in anybody’s living memory. Who pays for this silliness? The French taxpayer. It works until some bean counter wakes up and changes it, or closes the airport.

The “self service” machine at Zell am See cannot be operated by a non-German visiting pilot. Etc etc.

ATC all over Europe that speaks your language!

Obviously you are not referring to English. Quite a lot of European ATC cannot speak English, apart from a few standard phrases.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Zell am See is really always occupied, and it is not a big problem, come on – even if you have to ask how it works (thousands have managed!)

You want to say you cannot fly IFR in English in any European country? I have never had ay radio problems here::
Germany: perfect
UK: ok (:-))
France: very good
Italy: good enough
Croatia: very good
Greece: very good
Austria: very good
Benelux: very good
Sweden: very good
Spain: ok
Czech and Poland: very good
Switzerland: perfect
Austria: very good

… ok, i have not flown Romania, Bulgaria … but even Morocco was very good English (yes, i know it’s not in Europe ;-))

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 09 Jan 09:44

Guess where the BEST AUTOMATED FUELING STATION in Europe is ?

SURPRISE – Italy – Check it out : Aviosuperficie Zamboni

AvgAs – MoGas – JetA1

24/7 operation !

REAL TIME stocks on-line !

Takes CASH OR Visa !

NO LANDING OR T/O FEES !

This is just a simple private Entrepreneur installation, albeit, in the WORSE regulatory state for this, yet there it is pumping away, 24/7

Last Edited by Michael at 09 Jan 08:39
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Very good! I have to try that one … good region for a weekend trip too!

Thanks

Michael wrote:

SURPRISE – Italy – Check it out : Aviosuperficie Zamboni

Glad you liked it Alexis – we need to support this guy – he is a HERO !

Why aren’t there MORE of these ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Why aren’t there MORE of these ?

Start setting one up for yourself. You’ll learn soon enough.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Michael

I’ve already put a PIN on my Google Earth “Places to Fly to” page. From Munich this seems to be a perfect weekend trip. And once the gas problem is solved, everything is easy. Just have to figure out what the best way is file a Z/IFR FPL … or fly there VFR on a very nice day.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Start setting one up for yourself. You’ll learn soon enough.

I have never tried, so pure speculation on my behalf.

That said, once you have the tanks and the permits to install them, where’s the problem making it 24/7, taking cash & CC s ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@Flyer59
http://www.aviozzano-guglielmozamboni.com/ you will like this as it is also a very much Cirrus “inflicted” airfield
file z fp to bolognia and cancel it before arrival and do the rest vfr

as I said earlier in this thread great airfield for fuel and food
just a bit remote if you need to go somewere local
but i used it several times for fuelstops

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 09 Jan 10:06
fly2000

I guess it should be no big deal to get a rental car that close to Bologna? I already sent the operator an eMail!
Is also a good place to proceeed to Split/Croatia, where I fly more often.

Sign in to add your message