Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Brindisi next week - AvGas stop on Adriatic coast

Hello PPG – I saw your posts over at you-fly.com – thanks !

break – break

So the small field South of Lecce is closed for the holidays …

No answer from the nice looking self-service fuel stop South of Bologna …

Looks like Foggia is about my only choice for the whole South of Italy …

Is this what GA has come to in Italy ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It shouldn’t be too surprising that some private airfields elect to be closed between Christmas and New Year. Also, e-mailing small airfields for further info/PPR does not make sense. Need to call by telephone.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Foggia, staff si very friendly but I hope you understand a bit Italian or at least Latin roots language. Only the guy in tower is able to speak English and you won’t see him. But it is always funny.
Things go quite fast because they have no traffic.

PPG
LFNV

@ Michael
“is this what GA has come to in Italy ?”
I told you from the begining your options.GA in Italy is like the vanishing dinosaurs.Same in Greece.The State and Airport Managers dont bother much for anything.They are mostly indifferent and dissorganized.This is why there is a mushrooming development of Aviosuperfici and innumerable microlight production.The GA tombstone was recently placed under the term “Riccometro”. Merry Christmas to everybody !

LGGG

boscomantico wrote:

Need to call by telephone.

Well that worked for Aviozzano Guglielmo Zamboni Sr. Zambonoi himself answered the phone – AvGas 24H/7 , 800m hard, no landing/TO fees, only bad is restaurant is closed Monday.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

It shouldn’t be too surprising that some private airfields elect to be closed between Christmas and New Year.

Granted, but what IS surprising is the lack of Regional, locally funded Public Airports with AvGas, almost nil.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I used to get criticised years ago for saying stuff about how “random” Italy can be and it is interesting to read many others say the same stuff now

It’s a topic probably for a new thread but why is Italian GA where it is? Their ultralight community is very active. Various views have been put forward by Italian pilots I have spoken to. One of them is that there is widespread ignorance of the regs within their ultralight community (turn off the transponder and fly right through Class A, etc) and such a “capability” together with avgas resale restrictions (resulting from a preferential tax status of their clubs, meaning that you can get fuel but only with a nod and a wink) together with the language issue keeping activity largely inside Italy, and their useless CAA, would render “mainstream GA” almost useless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, so I’ve given up on getting AvGas in Italy as well as trying to navigate the MIlano TMA from hell …

So, I’ve decide to make my gas stop in Bastia and with any luck I might be able to go direct on the way back.

It’s a pitty the state of GA in Italy, a real shame.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael just accept a little inconvenience when trying to use your aircraft away from the local pattern. Flying in Europe is only for the most fanatical aviation minded individuals.

I have given up on trying to apply logic to some of the procedures and regulations that I have encountered. For instance why does the airport have to have someone in the “tower” when they are not allowed to give you instructions just friendly advice otherwise unmanned the airport has to be closed.. Another is, why cant there be self service pumps? Surely there are less liability lawyers here in Europe than in the US. There we have “uncontrolled airports and uncontrolled self serv pumps”.

When you land just have a few glasses of wine and foget about it.You’ll live longer.

I know flying in France is not like that.

KHTO, LHTL

Another is, why cant there be self service pumps?

There are, many. Like at my airport, EDML, takes all credit cards. Most others you help yourself and pay inside the Tower.

Sign in to add your message