Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Not sure about Germany but UK does allow (there is an exact text in the law) one to drive from Portugal to UK via France/Spain by car including boarding Eurotunnel without having to quarantine as long as you stay in vehicle or fuel yourself

I am assuming fuel stop by air when transit in France with self service fuel pump or truck are exempt (you have to confirm no one is inside aircraft to get fuel from a truck drivers or as per Total & BP fuel station screen instructions), of course one is not exempt if they give hugs & kisses to aeroclub members while on transit but no one bothers if you do

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 May 10:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Where can I find this regulation? Would be helpful to show to the authorities once they show up at the fuel pump… ;-)

I am not sure whether this “law” or “de facto”, for aviation, for any given country, but that is the system being operated everywhere, so long as you don’t leave the aircraft or its vicinity.

Here in the UK, the law states what Ibra posted above, and I have a written confirmation of it from the local police here that it applies to aircraft also. So I could refuel anywhere abroad.

The payment / toilet / passport check aspect is a bit of a grey area, and my personal approach is to contact the proposed fuel stop and check with them that they will accept payment by phone, without having to “enter their country” formally. This is important as much from my UK-quarantine aspect as from the fact that the fuel stop country could grab you and stick you in quarantine for x weeks or months (especially if you test +ve); it takes just one stupid officer there to see you walking about looking for the toilet, etc. I wrote about these things here. I would definitely pee into a bottle and not land to use the toilet!

Working airline pilots can also do overnight (hotel) stops (I spoke to some a few days ago) but nowadays they have to test, and god knows what happens if you test +ve. That’s something nobody wants to even think about.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks! I found the same regulation now for Germany (sorry, so far only found it in German…): https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/service/gesetze-und-verordnungen.html. Under definitions, it states (translation by DeepL) Stopovers: Stops which do not exceed the usual duration of necessary stops, e.g. for rest or refuelling; transfer times at an airport are not considered to be stopovers. So, stopovers as we usually need them for refueling (and paying the bill as I understand) are stopovers and therefore exempt from Covid regulations by the German authorities. But, of course, no guarantees…
Still searching for a similar definition from French authorities.

Here in the UK we can now travel abroad without a “good reason”.

The £5000 fine has been removed. I have not heard of it having been imposed on anyone, presumably because anyone travelling just invented a reason e.g. seeing an estate agent, going to a funeral, etc.

Still have the return quarantine…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Still have the return quarantine…

What if you fly to Portugal direct?

EGTR

It’s a little far… and Portugal has just closed itself to the UK for 2 weeks, according to the news the other day.

But why Portugal, unless you actually want to go to Portugal?

If one did a holiday in Portugal, one could fly there and back with refuels as required, anyway. Would have to be done in 1 day though, which is no problem.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It’s a little far… and Portugal has just closed itself to the UK for 2 weeks, according to the news the other day.

But why Portugal, unless you actually want to go to Portugal?

If one did a holiday in Portugal, one could fly there and back with refuels as required, anyway. Would have to be done in 1 day though, which is no problem.

What I meant was you could have gone to Portugal and stayed there for a night.
I did not know that they’ve closed themselves! And I don’t know anything closer that can be used to travel to/from without quarantine on arrival here or there…

EGTR

Portugal has just lifted that travel ban.

Administrator

They havent closed themselves. There were numerous TV breakfast news shows this morning reporting on the number of new flights from the UK to Portugal and at least 3 different shows reporting from aboard flights.

There is a reported EU move to make all member countries operate the same acceptance criteria, and it was speculated they will all accept vaccination status (both of them) plus x days.

Does anyone know any more about this, from their local press?

I am especially interested in Italy, although I can get a PCR test if necessary, if I don’t meet the x number. I got the 2nd vacc on 13th May.

On a related topic, UK pre departure test details. They accept a lateral flow test. If you fly back (via GA) without it, the max fine appears to be £500.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message