Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I have never had bad experience renting a car. And I have never paid more than €60 per day.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We hire anywhere between 5 and 8 times a year so perhaps my exposure is higher?
Anyways, just had a little google and Car hire at Chambery comes up almost double that of Aosta, so a car at Aosta looks like a very good option.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

We hire anywhere between 5 and 8 times a year so perhaps my exposure is higher?

I do similar or higher number or rentals and my rentals are anywhere between 3 and 21 days.

Anyways, just had a little google and Car hire at Chambery comes up almost double that of Aosta, so a car at Aosta looks like a very good option.

In general, anywhere in Italy should be cheaper than anywhere in Switzerland.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Both seems to be OK in the “usual respects” but neither has any database reports as yet.

I landed there in the past before our database and remember low fees and acceptable fuel price but that was long time ago.

Last Edited by Emir at 14 Nov 21:13
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Interesting. Both seems to be OK in the “usual respects” but neither has any database reports as yet.

SkyDemon has some recent reports on both. In short:

LIMF: Use LIMA instead – No fees and close to metro.
LIMZ: Compulsory handling. High fees.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The LIMF one is really useful

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would not drive; not familiar with the enforcement stuff (cameras, some signs, etc) and parking availability at the main car park at Cervinia is variable. There can be some at hotels, of course.
Driving in northern Italy is nothing dangerous and very straightforward. Same signs as in all other European countries. As long as you follow the speed limits, which are well visible in northern Italy, there is no need to worry about enforcement. Many speed traps in Italy are fake or turned off btw.

Emir wrote:
In general, anywhere in Italy should be cheaper than anywhere in Switzerland.
Absolutely true, but Cham b éry is in France, not Switzerland. Cham p éry would be Swiss, but that’s just a small town in the ski area of Portes du Soleil.
Last Edited by Frans at 15 Nov 08:21
Switzerland

LIMF: been there last summer (I thought I put the report but forgot, my bad!).
It’s about 95 EUR handling plus about 81 EUR airport fees. No idea about parking as I stayed there for a short time.

LIMA is super friendly but no instrument approach and NO C+I, only EU flights
Zero landing fees, not sure about parking for more days.
I doubt you can rent a car just there, you probably need to go somewhere in Turin.

LIMZ is quite far away from Cervinia. Though I reported it too but forgot as well :(
Handling is 60 EUR fixed + 20 per person.
Airport fees are cheaper than LIMF, parking is also quite cheap.
If you want to rent a car there I have the contact of the company based there (no major brands are there), I had a very good experience with them.

I would definitely rent a car in Turin or Cuneo if I landed there. My experience renting cars every other week or more and in several countries has always been good, and financially much more convenient than taxis.
And yes, Italy is a civilized country and you can easily drive. The motorways in the north are very good, just follow the speed limits.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Forgot to say… both LIMF and LIMZ are PPR, and you have to contact the handling agent in advance and they take care of it. You should check with them how it works if you want to use those fields only as alternates.
If needed I have the contact email for both.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Just got back from a few days in Cervinia. Easyjet, due to more or less impossible wx and a passenger who had to be back on a given date.

Plenty of snow on the ground but mostly poor vis, and due to lots of snow at night, “powder skiing” the following day

So for January we obviously want to choose a period with high pressure and minimal snowfall.

Beautiful location as always

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message