Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

This week, I was skiing in several Italian ski areas. Here some tips / ideas for your next “fly to ski” trips:

• Asiago (LIDA)
    I’ve visited Asiago by GA several times (lovely airfield btw.), but never went skiing in the nearby ski areas, as it has often no snow and is far away from home. Luckily, I was able to do so this week. Close to the airport, in about 15-20 min drive by car, there are “Le Melette” to the east and “Verena 2000” to the west. Both destinations aren’t big, but they have exceptionally good groomers and enormous slopes for just a few lifts. Both ski areas offer wide views from the Po valley up to the Dolomites. Prices for a day pass are low: From €27,00 during the week in Le Melette, up to €43,00 in Verena 2000 during weekends. The season lasts up to the 30th of April, as long as there is snow. While snow is an ‘issue’ down here, I would only recommend Asiago for a spontaneous visit. You can also directly rent a hotel room at the airport, including breakfast and the option to have dinner. You will love it, I’m sure!
    Le Melette
    Verena 2000
  • Aosta (LIMW)
    Sure, this airport is often mentioned in this topic for “fly to ski” and used for meetups. However, it seems you guys only pay Cervinia a visit. While I love especially Zermatt, the Aosta valley has way more to offer. “La Thuile” for example (which is connected with the French resort La Rosière), “Courmayeur”, and Aosta-“Pila”. They are all great and especially Courmayeur offers magnificent views on the Mont Blanc, while La Thuile is huge and cheap at 50-55€ for a day pass (and also offers many magnificent views). All ski areas offer great and wide slopes / groomers and Pila is of course very close to the airport (only 8 min drive by taxi). Another little secret area is “Crévacol”, close to the Swiss border (Gd-St-Bernard). Just two lifts with enormous slope variants… Great for one day!
    La Thuile / La Rosière (Espace San Bernardo)
    Courmayeur with Monte Bianco
    Crévacol
Last Edited by Frans at 16 Mar 13:14
Switzerland

I landed in Turin last summer and reported it on the database. Not cheap, close to 200 euros for a Piper Arrow staying for less than an hour. Guess the M600 in the picture got a different bill…
But it’s a good place for diverting and you have all facilities (cabs, car rental) to get to Cervinia.
I would contact https://www.esair.it/ even if it’s an alternate, as they will arrange PPR and anything else needed with the airport. I’m not sure you can just file LIMF as alternate and turn up (maybe yes but I don’t trust Italian burocracy ;)). The handler was quite quick in communication.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

You will feel right at home if you fly (or divert) to Turin

It would be interesting to get feedback on the costs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m planning to check out Cervinia 24-28. Flying to Aosta if the weather is right.

LPFR, Poland

I’ve just come back from Cervinia.

It is roughly 6th time for me in 4 years but it may be the last time because the accommodation situation is appalling now, with tour operators buying up most hotel rooms and the remaining rooms being extremely pricey, and many of really poor quality. I won’t post how much I paid (2 persons) for a sh1thole for “6 people” (actually ok for 2 only) and in an awful condition.

It has been heavy snow which killed most skiing (50cm of powder is a bit of a problem for piste skiing) and when this stopped, everybody piled in. The property owners exploited this to the full…

The skiing is still great as ever and the slopes are never crowded, in the way the French resorts are (probably because so many drive there easily, for the day)

This may be a sign of things to come. High altitude resorts, and tour operators will own the business.

Administrator

That counts for LIPB and LIDT as well, from where you can enter the Dolomiti Superski, with an enormous variation of slopes! Even closer than Aosta-Cervinia.

If I just want to ski than for me this area is driving distance from home with much less hassle of getting transport from/to the airport.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

These are relevant for a fly-in; every issue chops down the group that will actually turn up. Aosta is one of the best airports anywhere.
Not talking about the EuroGA fly-in here, for which I do support Aosta to be one of the most decent options. I’m talking about traveling alone and still going to Cervinia. Don’t get me wrong: I love Zermatt (and less Cervinia, but still love the entire ski resort), but it’s by far not the only good ski area in the Alps. Especially South-Tyrol/Trentino offers A LOT of amazing ski slopes. In case you’re curious which ski areas I’ve visited, from which I make up my opinion, I’ve made a map here.

And I second myself when saying that Aosta is also not far away from Espace San Bernardo, which is an amazing Italian-French ski area!

Emir wrote:
For me fly to ski is about flying as close as possible to slopes e.g. within range of €100 taxi. Anything else doesn’t make so much sense for me.
That counts for LIPB and LIDT as well, from where you can enter the Dolomiti Superski, with an enormous variation of slopes! Even closer than Aosta-Cervinia.

Sebastian_G wrote:
I probably keep repeating myself but Samedan and Courchevel take a little effort but once you have done it they are hard to beat.
True, but besides the mandatory familiarization requirements, these places are also incredibly expensive. Courchevel costs in winter 95 euros landing fee, and hotels + restaurants are also on the high side for France and L3V. Still cheaper than Samedan of course, where you’re almost broke, when paying parking, taxi, ski pass, hotel and restaurant fees in high-season. I’ve visited Samedan last winter during the weekend, where I felt alone with my SEP between those innumerable amount of private jets, but didn’t think of skiing with all those additional costs.

Sure, if money is not a limiting factor, Samedan is the real dream destination, which Aosta can’t offer or even beat in its best way.

Switzerland does offer cheaper “fly to ski” variants though, but aren’t really suitable. One example is Bad Ragaz (LSZE) with a gondola station right next to the airfield. The runway length and width are limiting factors though, including a hill with ruins on top of it on the south, and power lines on the north side of short final. Some say it’s the most difficult Swiss airfield to fly into. While I disagree to be the most difficult (Ambri or Münster should get that ‘rating’), it’s definitely challenging.
Last Edited by Frans at 13 Dec 23:08
Switzerland

I have skied in Courchevel (plus a number of the big-name places like Zermatt) and would not go back there. Short of spending big money (a few k per week) on accommodation close to some ski lift, you are on buses and by the time you reach the snow, you have lost an hour and it already has 10,000 people on it. For hanging out and shopping, yes, but few GA pilots are going to be doing much of that.

Administrator

Allegedly Courchevel is changing the 6 month requirement for keeping the rating valid. AIUI 9 months will be the new duration, which will help a bit for those further away.

United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

For me fly to ski is about flying as close as possible to slopes e.g. within range of €100 taxi. Anything else doesn’t make so much sense for me.

I probably keep repeating myself but Samedan and Courchevel take a little effort but once you have done it they are hard to beat. Samedan did relax the regulations allowing you to land first before tanking the little local flight with an instructor so the hurdle came down quite a bit.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
1074 Posts
Sign in to add your message