Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

You could try Ski Bartlett in Uxbridge. They independent, and are probably the most experienced boot fitters in the UK. Just an Uber ride from Denham…

Ski Bartlett

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 26 Apr 22:22

I am sorted now and ready for the next snow

I got some Intuition boot liners on Ebay, and DIY-fitted them in a +70C kitchen oven. IMHO most of the fancy kit in ski shops is snake oil. It does just heat them up. Fitting the shells (if say you have ankles sticking out) is a lot more work in comparison.

BTW Cervinia only shut on 8th May! Really impressive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

BTW Cervinia only shut on 8th May! Really impressive.

Let’s hope next year will be the same. I’m planning visiting the area in summertime, maybe even this summer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Skied Bad Kleinkirchheim and stayed at the Alpin Hotel right on the ski slopes. Fair sized mountain, not huge, with varying terrain types.
Flew into Klagenfurt LOWK has a large airport that is GA friendly and the fees are reasonable for a European airport. It sits in a large valley and has IFR approaches. The Departures require good rates of climb but should be no factor in the winter. There is hangarage as well for a reasonable price. 100Euro Cab ride from the airport each way. Once there you dont need a car since there is a small town with good restaurants and Spa facilities bathing etc. for post skiing relaxation all within walking distance.

Skied the end of March and it was warm so the skiing for me was not enjoyable by noon. Plan on going back mid Jan after Christmas but before February school break. Locals said that was the best time with plenty of snow and sparse people on the slopes.

KHTO, LHTL

After our super successful Spanish fly-in it is time to think of the next one, which logically will be in the winter

As discussed before, Aosta LIMW → Cervinia ticks all the boxes

• friendly accessible airport, not expensive, easy to fly to
  • inexpensive taxi by ski transfer standards (€100)
  • nicely done ski slopes, wide, safe, no black runs, great for beginner to intermediate
  • high altitude so if there is snow to be had, they get it
  • great scenery
  • most runs are sunlit so you don’t get runs where you can’t see the surface texture
  • can go to Zermatt for the day (for the CHF 1600 ski jacket )
  • possible to get to the ski lift right when it opens so you can ski on pristine slopes, not yet trashed by thousands
  • plenty of good food places in the town
Administrator

We could probably make LIMW on a good day, more for the company, food and sights than skiing.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I posted about our “fly2ski project” in some GA sites on FB. These sites tend to have almost no value (because they are mostly one-liners) but quite a lot of people seemed interested.

Most were VFR and wondered what the good VFR routes are to Aosta LIMW, in particular from the north. What is the lowest altitude which it is possible at?

The one from south is obvious…

Administrator

There is only one “route” from the north to Aosta. From the eastern tip of Lac Leman, follow the Rhone valley southbound to Martigny, the follow the road up to the Grand St. Bernard pass and descend into Aosta. 9500+ feet MSL.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

for the CHF 1600 ski jacket

What? You paid 1600CHF for the jacket! You were tricked, it only costs 1500CHF.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

This thread covers a departure (in detail) from Aosta back to the UK and needs to clear a ridge at over 8000ft, which is not hard to do.

I haven’t checked the terrain after that ridge though, as I was climbing.

But obviously doable VFR in say a PA28-181.

This appears to cover the route posted in text by Bosco above (?) – follow the road

Administrator
Sign in to add your message