Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

Is there some config whereby FF can tell you are flying, and “operates” the loaded route? On a flight UK to Italy, it drew the aircraft icon and it moved along, but the flight plan just sat there. Some satnav apps have a “Go Flying” button, others auto detect this based on GPS ground speed.

ForeFlight shows the actual position of the device based on the current GPS position. With the performance plus version, there is a 3D review which will provide a preview of the flight, but is on its own terrain view. When you have a route on the map view, the active leg will be displayed as magenta, so starting out, the first leg of the route will be magenta. You can change that by tapping the map and tapping direct-to a new point, or if you tap a leg on the map, you can select Fly leg or a Direct to a fix. You can also rubber band the route and edit the route graphically, add a hold or other options. Tapping on one of the route elements on the FPL route editor will also provide a list of options.

Flying a different route than the one displayed on the Map, the aircraft will be shown at its actual position and ForeFlight will attempt to make the proper leg active on the original route, but the active leg can get confused. Why would you not just enter the route you are actually flying?

KUZA, United States

Because I was going to fly that EGKA-LIMW in the TB20 (that was to be my first FF test flight) and then found the return wx would be just too exciting (wasn’t wrong, either: EGKA 181720Z 25034G45KT 9999 VCSH FEW040 07/M02 Q1003 and 80kt headwinds at FL100) so went A320 and played with FF on that flight. FF never showed any sign of realising we were flying as far as lighting up the nearest leg, although the aircraft icon did move.

Now that I am looking at it again, I see it said the active leg is EGKA-NIVKO which is the first leg on the route, but it never got beyond that. If that’s how it is supposed to work (i.e. one needs to fly a lot closer to the planned route) that’s ok, most of the time.

On the return flight I never got a GPS fix on the Ipad. The Samsung phone worked fine. So I just read the manual.

FWIW, the KLN94 will make a leg “active” no matter how far you are away from the planned route. It just picks the leg which is nearest the aircraft position. FF doesn’t do that, AFAICT.

Thanks, Nico, I will watch that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You need to click on FPL in the top row.
I’ll gladly do zoom session with you.
We could do it on the regular tuesday meet.
The first one I did almost 2 years ago was quite well received.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 18 Feb 19:52
always learning
LO__, Austria

Thank you Snoopy; that’s a good idea, now that I actually have an Ipad.

I have been struggling with this device all day in other areas. Nothing is simple. It was bought just for FF, but obviously one needs to set up other stuff like email. I then went to buy some apps and spent 2 more hours getting a CC authorised. Then, how the hell do you download the FF user manual so the PDF is local, under Files. Did that eventually too.

It is like the previous one (Ipad 2). It’s said that Apple and Google have way too many sofas in their offices Programmers (UI designers actually) with that sort of furniture always generate crap, because they need to think of new paradigms all the time. A very inconsistent UI; sometimes you just enter stuff and do Back, in other places you press Done, or Save. The config is all over the place.

Rant over

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

FWIW, the KLN94 will make a leg “active” no matter how far you are away from the planned route. It just picks the leg which is nearest the aircraft position. FF doesn’t do that, AFAICT.

ForeFlight will auto update the leg if the if you pass within an airspeed dependent radius of the fix. Otherwise, you need to tap on the leg and activate it manually. I have never had a vector mess up the auto switching to the next leg, but if you are way off the route, the auto switch may not occur.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

so went A320 and played with FF on that flight. FF

When I fly on the airlines, I enter the flight ID in the search window and locate the flight plan and load it into the route field. It is simple to do and you can check out the route for any filed flight. As far as getting GPS to work in an airliner, I find it hit or miss for the iPad to get a GPS position. If I have a portable GPS receiver such as a Sentry or Stratus and am in a window seat, I can put it on the window and follow along with the flight.

Edit, I don’t know if the airline flight in the EC can be searched for. It can in the US.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 20 Feb 14:01
KUZA, United States

Edit, I don’t know if the airline flight in the EC can be searched for. It can in the US.

It does, cool feature!

always learning
LO__, Austria

When I fly on the airlines, I enter the flight ID in the search window and locate the flight plan and load it into the route field

Thanks this is cool feature !

PS: I got into troubles once on Delta Airlines when I got bored and pulled my FF screen and earplugs connected to my VHF/UHF handheld, I went to sleep position with films, champagne & playboy mags when the cabin crew inquired & complained about my toys…

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Feb 16:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

It does, cool feature!

I don’t think the filed route shows up in the EC area. All the ones I looked at were shown as direct. The data in North America comes from the FAA SWIM feed and I am not sure if there is an equivalent in the EC area. AYTTE is a fix inside NY Oceanic and is the first fix that shows in your route. I am sure there is more to the route than a direct to that fix from LOWW.

KUZA, United States

Ahh, yes, you’re right.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message