Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

IIRC, the way it is done on Z and Y is that you send the whole FPL to Eurocontrol, and at the same time send the whole FPL via AFTN using whatever addressing is in the country’s AIP.

You could just use the AFTN only, for all of V Z Y I, however, which is exactly what happens if you file an FPL via AFPEX, for example. It works… I’ve done it. You don’t need the Eurocontrol B2B access to file any FPL. You probably do need it to get the rejection messages and codes, so you can iterate the route.

Please use always the most current release for ForeFlight Mobile and ForeFlight Web.

How can this not happen automatically with a web app?

I would start with as few restrictions as possible.

I need to fly through BILGO to get the significantly shorter route east of Paris, and then LISMO as the cancel-IFR point otherwise it doesn’t work at all.

This finds no route

This finds no route

This finds a route (uppercase waypoints, just in case!!!!!)

but obviously the start is duff (can’t fly such a route across EGKK anyway).

So I try

and it finally works

Looks like the most important thing is to use uppercase waypoint names, but it isn’t always needed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, I finally bought a “modern” Ipad – Ipad Mini 5, secondhand, £280 – so I can test this stuff out properly

My immediate observation is that the reason the lowercase waypoint names (which appear to break FF) can’t happen here because the Ipad version capitalises them

Interestingly, even though it doesn’t offer a VFR-IFR-VFR option, one can do a Z and do both an IFR pickup and an IFR cancel. I wonder why nobody has pointed this out? It is very common in Europe.

It doesn’t manage to do LDLO-EGKA via any sensible route, and like the browser version it happily “recommends” an invalid route (none of the ~15 screenshot methods mentioned online works so this is a photo)

Apart from the Ipad Mini being practically unusable without a stylus, and the IOS UI designed by weird people the Ipad version of FF seems to be usable, subject to the multiple European routing issues previously mentioned. The UI wasn’t properly tested for larger text (the Ipad is intended for young people who don’t need larger text ) and some text gets chopped off at the bottom of various forms.

I also can’t find an anti-touch feature, to prevent accidental touching. Maybe IOS does not permit apps to do that.

Administrator

I’ve used iPads for 10+ years, never owned a stylus.

Took about 15 seconds to plan this:

always learning
LO__, Austria

It doesn’t manage to do LDLO-EGKA via any sensible route

Unlike the examples I provided earlier, in this case you can get pretty decent results in both directions. Tip: remove “Include SRN” from routing rules.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What if I actually want to fly a certain route? The SRN wp produces a very convenient route across the Alps, which gives me

• a good distance for a climb over N Italy while burning fuel on roughly the right track
  • a good opportunity to eyeball the cloud over the Alps
  • a FL140 route straight across (normally FL160/180)
  • the shortest “central” Alps crossing available
  • an opportunity to haggle with ATC to take out the two corners

The Autorouter does this right every time.

Also, despite configuring everything imaginable, it says on EGKA-LIMW that max usable fuel exceeded by 31 USG Maybe there are two places for litre/USG configs and I found only one of them ? Doesn’t matter… I will give it a try on the next flight.

A huge amount of work went into the “flight sim” feature, however.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A huge amount of work went into the “flight sim” feature, however.

Completely useless feature but FF believes that such stuff sales software.

Peter wrote:

What if I actually want to fly a certain route?

Then you have to invest some manual work. I know it’s below standards set by AR and RR but I wrote to FF team many times without getting their attention.

Peter wrote:

Maybe there are two places for litre/USG configs and I found only one of them

You have to check this in aircraft’s performance model, defining fuel flow for different power setting and climb/cruise/descent.

Last Edited by Emir at 07 Feb 10:20
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I know it’s below standards set by AR and RR but I wrote to FF team many times without getting their attention.

Emir,

I am fairly confident that anytime you wrote to [email protected], you got a response. If not, please let me know. You may be referring to the the ForeFlight policy of not communicating its future plans or when a particular issue will be resolved and made available. Although you won’t see it in an immediate response, ForeFlight does listen intently to its customers and many new features or functions are a direct result of customer pilot input. ForeFlight is in a continuous state of development and some projects take substantial time to get incorporated into the flow. One recently added feature in version 14.0 is to provide more control over what the aeronautical layer displays, in particular waypoints. This was largely the result of European customer requests. Please don’t stop making suggestions.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Please don’t stop making suggestions.

So far the only returns we had from CM working on euroGa is “thanks for your inputs, we will have a look at it” although euroGa is full of european users of foreflight that keeps using it although price / content is not that satisfying (can’t find a better word – please forgive my english), especially that it would be really easy to comply with some. Should we be maintaining a xls sheet with all suggestions? We are not project manager….

I can start with:
[new]-[IFR]flimsy IFR routing
[new]-[VFR] airspaces not clearlyt apparent either vertically or horizontally, no pop-up when reaching limits
[new]-[VFR] multiple cruise altitude not managed.
[new]-[planning]M/B not integrated into briefing
[new]-[display]Ground proximity warning tile continue to stack/reappear over map/plate even after dismiss, could bother when monitoring a descent path.
[new]-[display]any “nearest” functionality with recorded weather in case of diversion?
[new]-[display]any MSA on a corridor route, maybe into a instrument place on the bottom instrument zone:?

Fell free to update but keep the previous elements of the list…

LFMD, France

NCYankee wrote:

I am fairly confident that anytime you wrote to [email protected], you got a response.

You’re absolutely right. I actually get two e-mails – one automated to confirm receiving my e-mail and later on additional one from a team member. However, nothing happens in resolving the issue. So, by “getting their attention” I meant getting useful response with some timeline for resolving the issues. As I mentioned few times in this thread, the only intention of my suggestions and complaints is for product to be better because I intend to continue using it. Otherwise, I would just cancel my subscription and turn to some other product. Being (primarily) choice of IFR pilots, I strongly believe that basic functionality like routing has to be at least at level of competing products and I can’t understand that some issues are not solved for years.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Most likely because

• ~99% of sales are in the US
  • in Europe, most IFR piston GA uses the Autorouter (currently free) and most TP/jet GA uses Rocketroute (similar price to the top FF sub but autorouting works)
  • the routing software was written by Aviation Cloud in Europe which was bought by FF, and I would guess FF has to get AC to do any fixing, and who knows what happened to the original coder (usually they leave, post-takeover)

I find the UI somewhat confused. With any mobile app which has nontrivial functionality, the UI designer has to choose between

• collecting all config under the “gear wheel” button, and have as many pages there as are needed (the obvious method, and easy for newcomers to get into)
  • having some config under the “gear wheel”, and distribute the rest around the app, using variously bizzare paradigms, and inconsistencies e.g. a Save in some, Done in others, just a Back button in others… (which is what most app coders do, including FF)

I guess FF just grew and grew and as features got added they didn’t want to totally re-hack it each time, which is understandable.

As I wrote before, there is a good reason why exhibition demos are done using the absolutely biggest Ipad in existence – because a Mini is only barely finger-usable, the default text size needs enlarging 1 or 2 steps, and the predominantly ageing audience (in that I include myself ) would not buy the product. FF is not alone in this; it is a standard challenge.

I am going to spend a few hours working out why it thinks I will be 50 USG short on EGKA-LIMW when actually I could go there and back on one fill

But in any case I will fly with it to LIMW and see what it does. I downloaded some AIP approach plates and can see that the aircraft is displayed near the EGKA RWY20 one, which is about right

Administrator
Sign in to add your message