Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I’ve been reading the whole FF user manual

Found a few interesting bits.

Outside the US, it doesn’t file VFR flight plans. This would render it near-useless for making much progress in the European GA market.

Flight plans are distributed at ETD minus 3hrs, or immediately if the ETD is earlier than present+3hrs. This will generally work, but when Eurocontrol assigns CTOTs, it starts looking at who filed before ETD minus 3hrs, and assigns the CTOT to those who filed after that, with those who filed later being more likely to get hit. This means filing with FF makes you more likely to get hit with a CTOT than if filing with some other service which transmits the FP immediately. Each country has a rule within Eurocontrol for when it wants to receive FPs; generally, IIRC, it is something like ETD minus 10hrs. CTOTs are common in Europe – most often due to French or Swiss -strikes ATC staff shortages.

Is there some config whereby FF can tell you are flying, and “operates” the loaded route? On a flight UK to Italy, it drew the aircraft icon and it moved along, but the flight plan just sat there. Some satnav apps have a “Go Flying” button, others auto detect this based on GPS ground speed.

As an aside and not related to FF directly, GPS tests in an A320 show that my Samsung S10E phone gets a GPS fix much more reliably than the Ipad Mini 5. It looks like Apple are still in the land of “GPS is most often used to find the nearest MacDonalds and we optimise it for that” It will be interesting how reliable the Ipad is in GA, and this is why I was after this. Does FF have any feature where one can see how marginal the GPS fix is? With NMEA devices you can usually get the constellation details, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Outside the US, it doesn’t file VFR flight plans. This would render it near-useless for making much progress in the European GA market.

This is incorrect, of course it files VFR flight plans. I have filed many via FF, both in Sweden and abroad. I’ve also filed a few Y/Z plans.

Screenshot from http://cloudfront.foreflight.com/docs/ff/14.0/ForeFlight%20Filing%20Guide%20v14.0.pdf

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 18 Feb 13:20

Peter wrote:

Is there some config whereby FF can tell you are flying, and “operates” the loaded route?

Yes, You can see the aircraft icon move over the map (or the map moving in case you have tapped the crosshair icon in the top right corner of the screen) Additional you can watch the progress in the dynamic navlog. There’s no “Go Flying” button. If you go flying – simply use the throttle of your plane. ;-)

Peter wrote:

Does FF have any feature where one can see how marginal the GPS fix is? With NMEA devices you can usually get the constellation details, etc.

Yes, the instrument line provides you with a field “Accuracy”, which shows the current GPS accuracy. You get warnings when the accuracy degrades.

EDON, Germany

Here

How many versions are online?

Re a go flying state, yes I can see the aircraft moving, but it doesn’t relate in any way to the route. No distance to next wp etc. the route just sits there, no current leg etc.

Re gps data, any way to get satellite status?

Administrator

We know that FF is in rapid development so it is important to refer to the latest version…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi Peter,

please use always the most current Pilot’s Guide to ForeFlight Mobile. With monthly updates, the guide is updated as well.

Last Edited by Wolfgang_O at 18 Feb 14:04
EDON, Germany

The supported nations can be found in the ForeFlight Filing Guide at page 38 ff.

Last Edited by Wolfgang_O at 18 Feb 14:16
EDON, Germany

For FF to detect the flying state, is it necessary to depart from the same spot as the start of the route which one developed? I had EGKA-LIMW but flew EGKK-LIMF.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I’ve been reading the whole FF user manual

Peter,

There is a new ForeFlight Filing Guide that will be published in the next AIRAC data cycle. The guide is intended to clarify and update filing information. I have attached the new guide here. Anyone can feel free to comment.

ForeFlight_Filing_Guide_v14_0_pdf

KUZA, United States

Hi Peter,
I suggest this video, which I found very good for a “transition training” from SD to FF. Two parts and a fun intro ;)

Maybe the Swiss guy that created it is a member here as well.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message