Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advantages of Schengen - Croatia to join next year

Congratulation Croatia and @Emir!
As a Romanian living in Romania I can say that I have a sentiment of deep frustration for the other part of the outcome.

LRSV, Romania

Emir wrote:

It seems we’ll have to wait for spring to come for that because implementation of Schengen regime at the airports will start in March 2023. I still have to check if this applies only to CAT or to GA as well.

I’ve read that as well. Der Spiegel mentioned it being “for technical reasons” and I wonder what those are. Updates for the border control software?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Portoroz might see a light drop in landings, as it was an easy stop over for PP check (and fuel).
Quite some of those will fly directly to their destination, outbound or inbound or both.

EDM_, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Der Spiegel mentioned it being “for technical reasons” and I wonder what those are. Updates for the border control software?

Probably not, given that passports / identity cards are not routinely checked at all for Schengen arrivals (which is the whole point, after all).

I suspect that some airports need to make adjustment to passenger routing. All of the sudden, the number of “Domestic” flights without passport control will increase massively and the number of “International” flights will decrease; depending on the airport layout that may be accommodated by replacing a couple of signs, it might require re-shuffling gates so you want to do this when the summer schedule begins in March, or at the extreme you might need to do a bit of construction work.

Given the uncertainty over whethter this was going to be approved, it is only sensible to start that work only once the decision was made.

Biggin Hill

In Croatia, the airline airports already have permanent police presence. So this should not change anything.

The thing to watch will be whether Mali Losinj and Brac will get rid of their police. Pre Russian occupation of Ukraine, it would have been fine, but now the wealthy russkies aren’t travelling there (they go to Montenegro instead, which loves their money). But now there is a real risk with Losinj, which would be inaccessible from non schengen due to its mostly 1400Z closing time (together with the likely opening time of your base, etc). Brac is probably safer due to their bizjet traffic having more political clout.

Croatia has been a wonderful GA destination for us, especially as France is closing up, and things generally tighten up everywhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Croatia, the airline airports already have permanent police presence. So this should not change anything.

I guess nothing will change in that sense because there are several non-Schengen countries with direct flights to/from Croatia: UK, Ireland, Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Albania. Although these flights comprise minority compared to flights from Schengen area.

So the real challenge is this:

I suspect that some airports need to make adjustment to passenger routing. All of the sudden, the number of “Domestic” flights without passport control will increase massively and the number of “International” flights will decrease; depending on the airport layout that may be accommodated by replacing a couple of signs, it might require re-shuffling gates so you want to do this when the summer schedule begins in March, or at the extreme you might need to do a bit of construction work.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

As a Romanian living in Romania I can say that I have a sentiment of deep frustration for the other part of the outcome.

Sorry for that. I really don’t understand the reasons behind rejecting Bulgaria an Romania at this point. My assumption is that actual problem is connecting Schengen area with area of primary immigration (mainly from Turkey). Although Greece is already connected with that area but there’s no land connection to Schengen area and Greece suspends Schengen protocols in air traffic.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

These things are usually opportunities for the objector country to get something back, totally unrelated, under the table. Like Turkey objecting to NATO for Sweden and Finland.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

Der Spiegel mentioned it being “for technical reasons” and I wonder what those are. Updates for the border control software?

Going Schengen is no easy thing. Lots of software/hardware implementation, airports need to divide into Schengen/Non Schengen areas and gates, e.t.c if they offer non-Schengen flights, police, immigration have to adapt their systems and their procedures. Actually, 3 months is very ambitious unless they have done quite a bit of work ahead of time already.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

On top of this Croatian football team won Brasil today

Last Edited by Emir at 10 Dec 00:34
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message