Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advantages of Schengen - Croatia to join next year

Peter wrote:

The real issue here is European job creation / job protection / job demarcation, all union supported and safeguarded. There is no logic in it. It is just a load of old trade unionists looking after themselves.

Doesn’t that belong in the politics thread, @Peter? Not sure how it relates to the thread subject.

LSZK, Switzerland

Emir wrote:

There are not many airports in Croatia besides the international ones.

Emir wrote:

However, for me this will open large number of airports in Italy, France and Germany that are kind of hassle now because requirement to land on international airport prior to continuing there.

That was my gist too. This should make Croatia a lot more interesting because it gives direct access to Croatia from smaller Schengen airfields and vice versa.

LSZK, Switzerland

Sure, but when there are only so few viable airports remaining in Croatia, then this advantage of having less hassle on the other end of the flight might almost become a theoretical one. Hence the importance of developing a few more airfields in Croatia to make it more enjoable / viable.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Oct 15:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Doesn’t that belong in the politics thread

The rule I tend to apply is that if a thread goes way off into politics and stays there, or a thread starts off in politics, the posts get moved there. But just 1 or 2 posts don’t get moved (unless somebody is doing an obvious windup) because GA has so much politics in it I would be moving stuff all the time and a lot of threads would make no sense. Also what does one do about posts which contain both non political and political matters?

Unfortunately this stuff is political.

If LDLO and LDSB retain the police, we will all be happy

More airfields would be better, of course, but you are fighting with various local interests, developers, probably the church also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If LDLO and LDSB retain the police, we will all be happy

Isn’t that the only GA airports available really as of now? I gather these will stay extra-Schengen POE (they are like LFAT & LFMD, the rest will get binned either in 3-4 digits handling as in Zagreb or banned for no extra-Schengen)

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Oct 16:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Rijeka LDRI is very nice and a nice location too.

Others e.g. Dubrovnik is expensive for regular traffic but is still great for a diversion airport when leaving Greece

I gather these will stay extra-Schengen POE

What is your source for that info? LFAT is not in Croatia but I would like an authoritative source for that too.

Administrator

They are “rich” GA airports who can afford to pay for immigration police, why Cannes has immigration? I think it’s money and traffic…

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Oct 16:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK, so just speculation. You wrote “I gather” so I thought you knew somebody on the inside. FWIW I have never met anybody who looked they had had the slightest actual clue as to why LFAT still has 24/7 police, so Croatia is a mystery as ever.

LDSB gets lots of bizjets all year but LDLO doesn’t and I wouldn’t call it “rich”. They do get a good % of Germany/Austria going there on nice days, but only in the summer.

The answer will probably be local politics, which in Croatia is opaque as ever, except you can be fairly sure the catholic church has its fingers in it

The funny thing is that it was EuroGA that put LDLO and LDSB on the GA map And I have this info straight from the airports concerned!

Administrator

I’m pretty sure LDSB will keep immigration & customs because they have plans for increasing number of CAT operations. In order to keep their ability to serve CAT they are required by NAA to make some runway improvements and they will start that in spring. For LDLO I don’t know because their plans for extending runway are on hold for some time and don’t look realistic at the moment knowing the origin of the capital involved.

Last Edited by Emir at 31 Oct 23:56
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ibra wrote:

Isn’t that the only GA airports available really as of now?

LDVP (Vrsar) is OK too. The airport could use some TLC but it has that GA airport friendliness/simplicity coupled with a nice location. No fuel though AFAIK.
Note: LDVP seams to be closed per notam as of 1 Nov until 28 March next year except for the local aeroclub.

Last Edited by THY at 01 Nov 16:00
THY
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message