Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

It will all work out fine:

In today’s news:

The US has told Russia that if they use a nuke, there will be a specific response:

here

Obviously the details are not in the public domain. It’s the right thing to do.

Re Ukraine and the nukes they had, it is highly unlikely they ever had a means of launching missiles. Maybe free-fall bombs…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Ukraine is fighting for its country. Russians are fighting for… what?

You also must remember leadership:

Putin – cowers in a bunker and only meets others at the end of an incredibly long table.

Zelenskyy – I don’t need evacuation, I need more ammo! and visits the troops on the front line.

Andreas IOM

Exactly. But the Russian population probably doesn’t appreciate the difference; they are used to whatever they’ve had for past 100 years. Ukraine for sure does.

UVDL also gets credit for decisively supporting Ukraine, even wearing the yellow and blue jackets It sets a good example.

What surprises me, given that 74.5% of Ukraine is on freelancer.com offering IT services, that they haven’t built a lot more thermal drones. DJI do a thermal Mavic but DJI, being chinese, won’t sell to Ukraine. And perhaps Ukraine have not been able to buy enough of them via 3rd parties. I know somebody who developed a thermal add-on and even sold a few but it could never be properly integrated into the vision system, and the project was dropped when DJI did their own. For “dropping objects” it would be perfect. I think they have thermal vision on drones but only big ones.

Administrator

This here is a very good interview with Jake Sullivan:

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

The US has told Russia that if they use a nuke, there will be a specific response:

In the end it is a very dangerous and unpredictable game of nuclear chicken.

The nuclear deterrent may not really work on someone who doesn’t care what comes after. The Russian government is in a situation where they can not win the war with conventional means anymore which puts Putin and his ministers into a corner. This imho is very dangerous indeed, as if they come to the conclusion that they have lost power, the war and possibly are close to loose their lifes, they may well decide to take out their perceived enemies with them.

Ultimati have the danger in themselves that if you let an ultimatum go and do not make true on the threats, your credibility is down the drain. So an ultimatum which directly threatens the use of nuclear force in case of non-compliance, MUST be followed by at least a low yield nuke in order to keep the pressure on, otherwise it will destroy what is left of their credibility.

Should it come to this kind of ultimatums on both sides, I fear a nuclear confrontation is inevitable.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I doubt the US told them they will use a nuke in response.

You can’t do anything really useful with a nuke Well not with just 1, you would need hundreds to attack Russia “properly”, [almost] eliminating any mass retaliation. Not thousands but hundreds, very fast, no warning, and at the same time try to destroy their missile subs. It is 100% certain that their missile subs are being full time hunted right now, by the US and by Britain.

A “demo” is not needed; since 1945 it is known that they work.

IMHO, prob99, the US told them they will do a large conventional response. One US military guy mentioned sinking the Black Sea fleet, as a reasonable response.

Russia defines itself in terms of war, violence, etc, only, and this is all they understand.

Administrator

It is 100% certain that their missile subs are being full time hunted right now, by the US and by Britain.

I believe it’s 100% certain at any time. The US has 53 fast attack subs, that’s largely what they do.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Sep 14:56

They forgot Montenegro which is full of Russians

The action there is heating up… not a lot on the news though. These are some of the biggest numbers ever

I feel sorry for the poor buggers on both sides, but Ukraine must win this.

A lot of people are pretty careless with smoking

Administrator

If this is really the only manufacturer of the rails in Russia then that’s very good news because that’s the major means of transportation for Russian troops and logistics. Cutting rails as a next step could further complicate their support.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It is heating up indeed, looks like some gas pipelines near Denmark were sabotaged these days.

It appears that following the referendums in Donbass that Putin will declare those areas russian territory within a few days. Any further fighting by Ukrainian troops there will then be treated as an invasion of Russian territory, which, according to earlier threats by Moscow, would be a justification to use weapons of mass destruction.

Seeing that apparently the US are frantically trying to dissuade the Russians to do exactly that. If they do, the US will respond, which may very well mean the total escalation into a nuclear exchange. Some voices are talking of the US going to enter the war in Ukraine conventionally and e.g. sink the Black Sea fleet as well as taking out Russian Subs.

Personally I think the day we never thought would come is only days away. There is no way out for anyone. Putin is in a corner and the US has to retaliate if he strikes, so the balance of MAD finally is tripping.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message