Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Who gains from the pipelines being destroyed?

As I understand they were encased in concrete. So only a nation with submarines could probably damage them, undetected. But to what purpose?

The obvious thought is the Russians. But they would surely want them to be turned on again after the war to replace the lost income. And their strategy to split Europe so that it wants to end the war so the gas can be turned back on, is nullified if the pipeline can’t be turned on without major work.

So which state with submarines, would gain from this?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

How deep were they?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

Who gains from the pipelines being destroyed?

It’s an excuse to close it down, and to make a point. I think they are at 100m or so. Could still be an accident though.

Update: according to a seismologist at Uppsala University, one of the explosions corresponds to more than 100 kg of dynamite. There were three explosions. Smells a bit Putin over this IMO.

Last Edited by LeSving at 27 Sep 19:01
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I am sure it’s not an accident but 100m is easily reached with trimix diving from a small diving boat, a fishing boat, etc. You don’t need a submarine to do this.

Administrator

If the Donbas area population is mainly ethnic Russian and wants to be part of Russia, then the democratic choice is to let them be part of Russia.
We in the UK should remember the Irish Independence War, which ended just over 100 years ago. No mention I’ve seen in UK media of these historic anniversaries.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Most of the population had already left.

Also the voting was done under obvious coercion.

So the referendum is meaningless.

From here, the damaged pipeline was for carrying Norwegian gas to mainland Europe, so Russia has an obvious motive, but so does Ukraine.

Administrator

Maoraigh wrote:

If the Donbas area population is mainly ethnic Russian and wants to be part of Russia, then the democratic choice is to let them be part of Russia.

That is true, but you can’t do it the way Russia did it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

From here, the damaged pipeline was for carrying Norwegian gas to mainland Europe, so Russia has an obvious motive, but so does Ukraine.

No, the damaged pipelines were carrying Russian gas. The article mentions a different pipeline from Norway.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

From here, the damaged pipeline was for carrying Norwegian gas to mainland Europe

I don’t think that’s correct. The Norwegian pipeline is separate, but was only recently opened. It might well be the case that the Russians are trying to say “look we can destroy that other pipeline too. So don’t think that is going to solve your energy problems!”

Of choose that would be an attack on a NATO state. Probably not a good idea for Putin. His problem (and ours) is that he is quickly running out of good ideas.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

That is true,

I don’t think it is true; for example would Sweden run a referendum allowing its border regions to break away? I am sure it would not. No country would allow that. Also I doubt Norway etc would be happy to redraw its borders to suit the reduced-size Sweden

There are also economic challenges. Ireland could not absorb the “£9BN/year social security package” known as N. Ireland, unless Brussels paid for it (which I am sure Brussels would be delighted to do, and will have to do once the catholic population in the north produces enough excess chiildren to shift the support towards the south). And who would pick up the tab for the wasteland which an independent Scotland would be?

As Cameron found out, one has to be careful with referendums, unless carried out at gunpoint

But that’s a different topic entirely.

It may well be that the Ukraine situation will eventually be settled with a redrawn border. To be totally cynical, it would be a handy opportunity to “do a Yugoslavia” and get rid of some troublesome populations, who will for sure really appreciate living in Russian-controlled rubble (which Russia isn’t going to rebuild) and with their washing machines stolen Ukraine would need to get a lot in return e.g. NATO membership, heavy arming (they know Russia will prob100 have another go), and the return of the ~1M of its people who have been kidnapped to Russia.

But now is not the time for Ukraine to do such a deal. For a start they do not want it. And one never does concession deals when things are moving forward, even if slowly.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message