Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bye AN-225

“(CNN) — The world’s largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, has been destroyed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, according to Ukrainian officials, generating alarm and sadness among the aviation world in which it occupies almost cult status.”

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/antonov-an-225-largest-plane-destroyed-ukraine-scli-intl/index.html

ESME, ESMS

I still refuse to believe this although from personal war experience I know bad news are always true :(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

From an aviation side of things this is a great pity. I saw it once come to Zurich, a very impressive piece of engineering.

I remember the AN124 with the register number 9 which also got destroyed in Zurich. I hope the crews are alive and possibly as far away from Europe as they can be. Sasha and all, take care!

Looking at what is currently being destroyed around Ukraine however, it is a regrettable but insignificant loss of a replacable machine. And looking what looms in the next days, there is a good chance that nobody alive will remember or care a lot about what the AN225 was.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/satellite-photos-give-hope-an-225-might-have-survived/

“Although there’s substantial damage to the hangar, most of the airframe is under the undamaged section.” The image shows that rather than being consumed by fire, the steel frame open-ended shelter (not an enclosed hangar) suffered damage to just one corner of the structure. Presumably, if the aircraft itself had caught fire, the structure over it would have shown damage. “Of course, we won’t know until photos from ground level turn up—and even if the airframe escaped the worst of the damage it’s still entirely possible it’s no longer airworthy,” he tweeted. “But it’s also possible most of the aircraft, at least structurally, is undamaged. At least, I hope so.”

EHLE, Netherlands

I can’t help but note that, given what is starting to happen in the population centres, that the fate of an aircraft is not really significant – however big or unique it may be.

Biggin Hill

There are conflicting reports coming in about the fate of the AN-225. Latest is that she’s intact, but in Russian hands. As always, truth is the first casualty in any war, so take that with a big grain of salt.

I am monitoring the Ukrainian situation very closely and from a number of sources. AN-225 had an engine off for maintenance and couldn’t be flown to safety. It was damaged by fire in the hangar but, according to one source, is restorable, though it will take a few years and a huge amount of money. The second one (an empty airframe that was never completed) was intentionally blown up on the runway to prevent the enemy from landing. Who is currently controlling the airport is unknown, there’s fighting in the immediate vicinity.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

AN-225 had an engine off for maintenance and couldn’t be flown to safety

As I’ve mentioned in another thread, the AN-225 is very dear to my heart, having had the privilege of flying in her cockpit once. I was, however, under the impression that she could be flown on four engines if empty. Then again, if they were doing heavy mx, probably more than just an engine was taken apart.

Fortunately, the design was based from the outset on reusing as many systems from AN-124 as possible, which will simplify the restoration.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

In the Swiss paper 20min there is a new article which appears to show the hangar from the front during the fire.

screenshot from 20 mins.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Mar 13:42
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message