Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

kwlf wrote:

Is there anything written?

A quick Google finds this from the chap @BeechBaby is referencing: https://greatgameindia.com/transcript-bioweapons-expert-dr-francis-boyle-on-coronavirus/

OK, and I have since found a few articles saying it’s all codswallop. This one for instance

The truth is that there are probably only a handful of people in the world who could look at the DNA sequence and have an informed view as to how it arose – my feeling is that you would have to have spent several years playing with Coronavirus RNA to have an opinion worth listening to. I’m not such a person. Francis Boyle trained as a lawyer so probably isn’t either.

The problem with these theories is that they’re far easier to create than to disprove. There are dozens of them, all serving different people’s political aims or prejudices. Who knows, maybe one of them is correct. But given that diseases jump species all the time, I think the burden of proof is on the conspiracy theorists. 1918 flu didn’t come out of a bioweapons lab. Neither did Yellow fever or the bubonic plague or syphillis.

Last Edited by kwlf at 15 Mar 00:28

@LeSving I would guess you can still legally fly uncontrolled IFR in G airspace. Weather you are using instruments for your navigation or looking outside the window, nobody knows. Since uncontrolled IFR is allowed by SERA then there is no reason you could not do it.

ESME, ESMS

I did not envisage a VFR flight ban as part of the lockdown. I had heard that private charter flights were really busy at the moment, for those who can afford to avoid the crowds at airports.

So this will ban any VFR flight instruction too, although it looks like IFR flight instruction could continue. Norwegian flying clubs and private pilots all shut down, but will this also close down commercial flight training schools too? Maintenance organisations severely limited if they can’t ferry aircraft in or out.

Would LT consider a temporary extension period for licence rating revalidations, which can no longer be completed in time?

Do we think that other CAAs are likely follow suit?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

It seems to have no logic behind it.

Especially if you can do IFR OCAS. In the UK such a move would be meaningless.

And there is no significant infection risk given that all cafes are likely to be shut soon (following France etc).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

Would LT consider a temporary extension period for licence rating revalidations, which can no longer be completed in time?

No mention of this in particular, but school related flights are still allowed. However, it requires PPR from Avinor Flysikring (the ATC). This is to be found in NOTAM (haven’t looked at any NOTAM myself yet).

Peter wrote:

It seems to have no logic behind it.

Agree, but only if you close your eyes completely to the context. Basically what it say is that all VFR flights are to be ambulance, military, police, SAR only + school related flight, but only with permission from ATC. The logic (as I see it) is simply to have SAR and ATC capacity ready and available for Corona related stuff and not for private GA related stuff as would be the normal case. There is only so much capacity available. Thinking about it, IFR is probably allowed because there are no more CAT to speak of. No problem with capacity there.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is there really an issue with capacity for people to fly VFR OCAS without having someone nanny over them?

I still don’t get it, because – gonna get attacked for saying this, as usual – Norway is hardly the world’s biggest GA community, and a couple of orders of magnitude less so at this time of the year I’ve seen posts somewhere saying that the whole place (and Finland) basically lock the planes in hangars for a number of months. So I can’t see the traffic levels would be a problem.

IFR will be very small in Norway because few private pilots there will have an IR. In a country which has either CAVOK or IMC with moderate/severe icing conditions (I planned a trip to ENVA many times and never found a slot of 2-3 days), anyone with an IR will be flying a plane with heavy duty ice protection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

The logic (as I see it) is simply to have SAR and ATC capacity ready and available for Corona related stuff and not for private GA related stuff as would be the normal case. There is only so much capacity available.

Please explain how someone shooting touch-and-goes at ENOP would use up any SAR or ATC capacity?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

I still don’t get it, because – gonna get attacked for saying this, as usual – Norway is hardly the world’s biggest GA community, and a couple of orders of magnitude less so at this time of the year

We have since long got out of winter hibernation We are only 5.5 million citizens here, so naturally private GA activity is small. But per capita GA activity is high, and very spread out. Large distances, poor weather. We still have excellent SAR, excellent ATC, but it’s dimensioned to cope with the actual GA activity. When they say they don’t have the capacity right now due to Corona, well, who am I to argue with that? They also have to anticipate getting sick themselves, which will reduce the capacity considerably.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message