Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

“Corona virus – affecting your travel?”

Yes! Resident in France but flying for a longhaul UK airline which is about to cut 90% of its operation.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

LeSving wrote:

It’s not the government, it’s LT (exclusively in this case). The aviation authorities are authoritarian per definition, or they wouldn’t be authorities. Flying is no human right.

LT government or not, presumably if you decide to disobey their directive the ultimate force to stop you will come from a state body, be it police, airforce, etc. Human rights don’t exist if a government doesn’t allow them. See China.

I feel that personal property ownership should be a basic right as should non agression on others unless in defence. Having the state bar your use of them without exceptional reason is troubling to me.

But people have other views and some like big government. It’ll be very interesting to see the analysis of what works and what doesn’t down the line, but now we’ve just got to make the decisions that we think best given what we know. For me I’m on extremely limited interactions, but some may say that’s business as usual for me :)

What they find necessary and what is necessary are not necessarily (sorry…) the same thing. This is politically motivated more than anything else, just as the Norwegian and Danish border closures are politically motivated.

It’s easy for us to be armchair experts and say this or that. Anyway, I don’t subscribe to this political motivated nonsense. This would assume some “hidden agenda” in all this, and such conspiracies are pure fiction.

It could be motivated by fear, it could be motivated by being cautious, and it probably is to some degree. However, what we see in countries like UK and Sweden in particular is that people generally still believe that what is happening in Italy won’t happen to their homeland. It won’t happen to me syndrome.

In Norway we have almost stopped testing people now. The wave of influx from the Alps has stopped. The assumption now is that if you get sick, it probably is Corona, and then you shall lock yourself inside your home and get well again, unless you are in a particular group (above 65, got cancer etc). A peculiar fact is that almost half of those tested, got Corona in Austria, only about 1/10 got it from Italy.

I don’t think there is one particular way to fight this. There are too many uncertainties. Each country has to do it the way it assume will be best for them. Norway has chosen a way that will cost a lot of money, but the assumption is that it will save most lives. If this turns out to be wrong or right, too early to tell. However, money is no problem for us, so we can do it without being worried about life after Corona. If there is a political motivation, then that is the motivation right there. The funny thing is that everyone agree to it, every politician, every citizen

Last Edited by LeSving at 16 Mar 09:32
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

AIUI the first thing the South Koreans did when the Chinese released the genome for Covid 19 was to put their scientists to work to find a method of testing, which they did quickly. Then they set about testing as many people as they possibly could and isolated the positive. This went alongside the handwashing, the self isolation and wearing of masks where necessary. They are still testing, including everyone entering the country and for the safety of other nations, everyone leaving the country. This alongside South Korea being a high tech country. The result is that the virus peaked in South Korea at the end of February and the number of new cases is now down dramatically and the trend is continuing.
I wonder why the countries of the west have been slow to follow this experience, if at all. Is it perhaps we think we know better than them. Or perhaps because there is always a vocal group who tend to ignore the people in the know (I am thinking of the likes of Kwif and MedEwok on this forum) in favour of some know nothing conspiracy theorist who really just wants to drop a bomb on China because he doesn’t like Peking Duck.

France

gallois wrote:

I wonder why the countries of the west have been slow to follow this experience, if at all.

They are lazy, criminal and only thinks to direct the country to pay back the rich people that helped to elect them. At least this is the case in France.
We are expecting total lock out this evening.
My club did closed today in advance due to a strong wind, but they may have to do it tomorrow expecting total or partial lock out of the air also by the DGAC.
The more suspicious would say that they are doing it now because retirement law has been forced now with 49.3 and mayoral elections are (almost) done.

LFMD, France

Human rights don’t exist if a government doesn’t allow them. See China.

The right to live is more important than the right to exercise your hobby in an emergency situation.

Besides, all I have to do is to get an IR, and do some “real” flying as Peter would have put it

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Besides, all I have to do is to get an IR, and do some “real” flying as Peter would have put it

You would have to go to Sweden for the training.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Mar 12:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The weather is fantastic outside, but we’re grounded for the next 4 weeks :(

https://www.lvbayern.de/mitgliederservice/service-allgemein/news/detail/news/massnahmen-zur-eindaemmung-der-corona-virus-pandemie/?tx_news_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=News&tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D=detail&cHash=436b8863e31163b2a4aedafb88ffbfa5

Google Translated:

MEASURES TO REDUCE THE CORONA VIRUS PANDEMIC

16.03.2020 General Motorized Flight Gliding Hang Gliding Model Flying Model Flying Special Ultralight Air Sports Youth Parachute Balloon

The corona virus continues to spread dynamically in Germany. This development does not stop at organized sports in Bavaria. Health protection is top priority in the current risk situation.

The Bavarian Prime Minister announced today (March 16) that the catastrophe will now apply in Bavaria.

In addition, the restrictions have been extended further across Bavaria.
Not only cinemas, clubs, club rooms and the like will be closed from Tuesday (March 17th), but sports fields and playgrounds will also be closed.

This means that the entire air sports operation in all disciplines must be stopped by the air sports clubs from this point in time at the latest!

As the Air Sports Association Bavaria e.V., we therefore ask all those responsible for the club, but also all air sportsmen, to proceed accordingly. As much as the restrictions mean sacrifice, it is now important to slow down our lives with prudence and determination.

The regulations should initially apply until April 19, 2020. Then, based on a current assessment of the situation, in particular by the Robert Koch Institute, a decision will be made on how to proceed.

The Bavarian State Sports Association (BLSV) has already published some information on its website about the current situation, which is also updated, the LVBN fully follows, the BLSV homepage is: www.blsv.de.

And DAeC President Stefan Klett made an appeal to the air athletes on March 15 via Facebook:
“As DAeC President, I urge all German air athletes to do without all avoidable flights and trips from A to B by April 19, to restrict flights in narrow cockpits, to stop training operations, to reduce club activities and so on – as well as everyone other top sports associations in Germany – to make our sporting contribution to slowing the spread of viruses!
Take care of each other, be attentive and considerate. "

March 16, 2020, Bavarian Air Sports Association

EDMB, Germany

What does this actually mean for Germany? Is it grounding all of GA, or just aeroclub activity? The latter would be a very strange limitation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What does this actually mean for Germany? Is it grounding all of GA, or just aeroclub activity? The latter would be a very strange limitation.

Afaik this only means that those pilots who are part of DAeC aero clubs are asked to self-ground. There have so far been no official measures to limit GA activity, AFAIK.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message