Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

do you seriously feel that UK, having left the EU, should be afforded special status compared to e.g. the US?

Of course. The UK and EU are still neighbours.

Here in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, neighbours help each other, look after each other’s dogs, lend machinery, trade gifts at Christmas. We don’t do that for strangers in Ayrshire.

Is it different in Sweden? Is Sweden a kind of hell where people don’t even know their neighbours’ kids names? I would find that hard to believe.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

If you plan to fly into the Isle of Man over the next few days, double check the NOTAMs for EGNS: all but one ATCO is off with COVID at the moment (normally 3 are on duty at any one time). Radar service may not be available.

Andreas IOM

Some countries seem to require FFP2 masks – e.g. Italy, in specific situations. So probably a good idea to buy some. They are about €1 each.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would do a UK trip and say “hi” in Shoreham. Its been 2+ years since Ive seen my UK based Family.
I really do hope Governments can get a handle on the hysteria/knee jerk reactions this year.

Regards, SD..

Just for clarity, you can pop over to the UK right now. France is not on any red list; the risk of another Channel Tunnel blockade (avocados and sourdough disappearing → starvation of the British Middle Class → general election result in doubt) is just too great

• buy a PCR test, say 64 quid (address doesn’t matter because you will never actually do it; you can use mine, etc)
  • the confirmation email will have the magic number for the PLF
  • file the PLF using this magic number
  • file the GAR
  • file the flight plan
  • fly

So basically the EGKA landing fee is £64 bigger; still worth it There is a way to save the £64 but I won’t post it.

You are supposed to isolate until the day 2 test is reported negative but if it’s a day trip, nobody will notice or care because you can’t comply with the requirement anyway because, ahem, you won’t be around on Day 2 It astonishes me to this day that there doesn’t appear to be a defined process for day trips into the UK (much discussed here).

Obviously, being socially diligent etc, you will have done one of the free LFT tests privately before you come over.

I am happy to have my address used for this, and I use up the tests myself afterwards

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Just for clarity, you can pop over to the UK right now. France is not on any red list; the risk of another Channel Tunnel blockade (avocados and sourdough disappearing → starvation of the British Middle Class → general election result in doubt) is just too great

You can’t get back into France though without quarantine. In fact you’re blocked all together since nor business, nor leisure or family reunion are valid reasons for travel…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Ok, yes, I forgot about that one.

Can you do a fuel stop on Guernsey? That’s basically what people are doing when travelling by car.

OTOH in France this can be risky; I have heard of somebody in France who was supposed to be isolating being regularly checked on by the police there, so they seem to have plenty of time…

Administrator

Ive been to the UK several times in the last couple of years – work related – just not to the bit near my folks.

Technically, as a UK citizen & French resident, I expect I could travel, but its just the hassle factor of it all – which is fine when a company is picking up the tab, but not so cool “for fun”… and my partner/GF is from another EU country, which also adds more complexity to the issue.

Like I said, Im hoping that as we’ve seen twice now, the Summer will see restrictions ease and we’ll travel for fun when its more hassle free.

Regards, SD..

I’m afraid the pessimist in me doesn’t see things returning to ‘normal’ anytime soon.

Governments either side of La Manche will continue red-listing each other at the slightest excuse, mostly to score Brexit-related points with half an eye on their domestic popularity and upcoming elections, and too many people are making too much money out of the pointless testing requirements – so that isn’t going to go away.

EGLM & EGTN

It is called the Continental blockade

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message