Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

We have done this here previously.

You can get the magic number for the PLF simply by ordering a PCR test from the “right sort of outfit”, and the C19 one above is one of them. The magic number comes in the order confirmation email. No need to be in possession of the test at any time to file the PLF (this is not true for most kit sellers, who put the magic number on a bit of paper in the box) and indeed you will be back out of the UK by the time it arrives

Also, as discussed in the other thread, you also cannot get these tests delivered to outside the UK, so the test will arrive at the home of whoever’s address you used to order it

It doesn’t make sense. There seems to be no procedure for a short visit to the UK, or a short visit for a Brit outside the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apologies I might be missing something in the thread but I’m not sure I’m following the bit about no procedure for a short visit for a Brit outside the UK?

I did a couple of short trips UK→France→UK a couple of months back prior to the rules being relaxed and as far as I can tell the same process I used for those trips (chronomics LFT + Randox PCR) would apply now.

Am I missing something ?

OK; look at the other case of someone in France doing a day trip to the UK.

Administrator

Agreed. For that scenario that is certainly an issue.

I am not disagreeing with your view on UK → France → UK; I just “clearly recall” that there was a concession in the UK rules that this could be done with just one test. There was ambiguity on whether you had to be in possession of the test result before departing. The reality is that the police, meeting you upon your return home 100% as they do because they have nothing better to do, want to know that a PLF has been filed and all the evidence is that they have no idea how or what it contains The “pre return to UK” test is meaningless with GA because nobody checks it so there is no point in doing it, and a day trip is shorter than the incubation time so it is doubly meaningless Hence the assertion that a single test (the Day 2) does the job both “morally” and “legally if you can find the supporting reg”. Justine recalls that discussion in the media too and the govt confirmed it.

That there appears to be no procedure for France → UK → France is IMHO scandalous. I expect it is there somewhere, otherwise it is a cockup, because I can’t see a govt intention to block French businessmen popping over.

The people who set this up are behaving like headless chickens.

Currently, France wants a 48hr PCR test as well, to get into. So you could buy a PCR test in the UK, get the result (and that is the challenge for a day trip on a given date; even a 72hr PCR is challenging unless you pay lots for a fast facility), do the day trip to France, and use the magic number from that test to file the PLF. Nobody will know when you actually took that test. IOW, if you file a PLF using a magic number of a test whose specimen has already been reported on, will this ever get picked up by the “system”? I am sure it won’t be detected.

It has already been reported that lots of people are filing PLFs using magic numbers used previously i.e. no check is made by the PLF computer for a number used previously, which is astonishing but actually the only way such a duplication check could work would be if the govt issued test providers with magic number ranges to use (like the DVLA issues car sales outfits with number plate batches).

One gotcha is that to get into France you need the test result, but it is this test result which also terminates the Day 2 “harrassment process”, but in this case the test will have been taken before the trip took place. Well, the Day 2 reg states IIRC that the the test should be taken “on day 2 or before”

Administrator

Completely agree that the UK testing regime doesn’t really make sense for people coming in/back and has been out of kilter with most of Europe. Definitely seems like headless chickens set this up 😮

On the France entry rules just one clarification is that it’s a 48HR PCR or Antigen which makes life a bit easier. 😄

Aha ok. Dramatically easier! You can file the PLF using the exemption of The Pope on Vatican official business and that takes care of the Day 2 test. So the bottom line is that the €30 LFAT landing fee is now around €60, which is still fine for a meet-up

You can tell I am bored, sitting in Cervinia with the lifts shut due to wind

Administrator

Peter wrote:

the usual “brexit punishment”, lumping UK passports with the “Nigerians”

i don’t know if you’re joking or not, but do you seriously feel that UK, having left the EU, should be afforded special status compared to e.g. the US?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I understand the statistics (which presumably have some WHO compliance) for Nigeria are quite respectable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59548572

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

This is what a self scan passport has on the front, and people with those should be routed to the scanning machines, regardless of the country of passport issue

Administrator
Sign in to add your message