Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Unfortunately Courchevel is not flyable to/from the UK anymore; they removed Customs/Immigration in 2012, IIRC.

The green ones on this map are UK-flyable and usable for GA (map covers France only).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, then you just make a short intermediate stop elsewhere to clear customs, go to the toilet and get a good espresso. Then fly on, right?

EDLE, Netherlands

Patrick wrote:

Patrick 24-Nov-15 09:06 #63
C210_Flyer wrote:
I would do what Alexis recommended a day trip provided the weather is VFR
I would not underestimate the element of fatigue.

While fatigue can be a factor. Ive been doing day trips of up to 2 hrs (usually 1-1.5 hrs) for years in the US From LI NY to Vermont and Maine But then again I could come home in the dark cause the airport had lights. I do extreme skiing that is an extreme amount of effort for only an intermediate skier.

The more I think about it unless its later in the season when you have more day light day skiing is not too practical.

Assuming I have my plane at EDMA. It takes me 1.5 hrs to get ready with brief etcetera. 45 mins to get to the airport another 1/2 hr to load the plane take the wing covers off and get ready. Assuming the plane was plugged in the day before. Then be ready for takeoff. Hopefully the airport will be open early enough. I suppose 7-8AM is OK. A 40-60 min flight. 40 min to leave the airport. Depending on how far the slopes are time to the lift area. Maybe be on the slopes by 10:30. I suppose the lifts close at 4PM Hopefully the airport has lights. If not you might have to leave the slopes by 3PM to be all set up to fly by 4:30. That is not a lot of skiing (4.5 hrs and without lunch) for a lot of effort.

Its usually no fun to go by ones self and of course sharing the costs would help with passengers. However that puts a whole lot of stress on to make it happen.
In the states I had lots of friends who owned their own buisness and could just take off on the spur of the moment. Here I dont know of anyone that can just drop things and go.

So Achim I think a 2 day stay is minimum with 1 overnight. Thats assuming you can find accomodations.

KHTO, LHTL

Sion taxes can be found here

For a TB20 it’s 25 CHF international landing fee, 15 CHF approach fee, 7 CHF pax fee for your passenger, and outside parking is 6 CHF per night. Assuming you don’t need more than cat 3 fire cover. Not sure how much hangar space is and whether they have it.

LSZK, Switzerland

What about Aosta? I only flew gliders there tho. But I believe it is IFR and from Aosta you can take a skilift straight up to Pila, which is great for a day or two skiing.

Last Edited by Bobo at 24 Nov 12:50
EHTE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

ICAO minimum for VFR in Class D is 1500ft.

Indeed.That’s why I wrote Special VFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, but ATC just told me the airport is closed for VFR. No discussion.

If the SVFR option was there (this was 2003) they deliberately didn’t tell me about it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the SVFR option was there (this was 2003) they deliberately didn’t tell me about it…

In some parts of the world apparently ATC is not allowed to tell you about SVFR in order not to pressure anybody into a dangerous situation. In such a situation the words “Special VFR” have to come from the pilot first.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

In some parts of the world apparently ATC is not allowed to tell you about SVFR in order not to pressure anybody into a dangerous situation. In such a situation the words “Special VFR” have to come from the pilot first.

That’s how I learned it, too. I would always request SVFR and if they then reject that – so be it.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

That would be making it too easy for them. If the airport is above SVFR limits, and the traffic volume is low, they have no reason to deny a special.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message