Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 19-22 April 2023

@Ibra, not sure about your experience of being at, or flying into Oshkosh is, nor from where you get those de-typoed numbers…
But I’d would think that the vast majority of Oshkosh, or AirVenture to specify the time period, fly in without a FPL, if ATC Flight Plan is meant in the abbreviation you used.

As a fact, Americans are the best organisers of the world. And still, flying into AirVenture is not always plain sailing, despite the apparent simplicity of the act.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

nor from where you get those de-typoed numbers

It’s from FAA website, 17695 to be precise

Going this year (in airliner & car)

Oshkosh, or AirVenture to specify the time period, fly in without a FPL, if ATC Flight Plan is meant in the abbreviation you used.

I am aware VFR does not require FPL in the system, neither in FAA or ICAO formats

To add to pedantry, are you saying you can fly there from Canada or cross ADIZ without FPL? or fly IFR in IMC from Rochester-Oskosh without India FPL?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 14:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, the only thing I’m saying is that you are quoting movements, which in turn, the more so at the cited event, might only bear a small relation to the numbers of FPLs.

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Apr 15:36
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

That is true, I stand corrected it’s not the count of FPL in system

US ATC, don’t need FPL or CTOT, they will give you LAHSO or HOLD

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, VFR flight plans in the US have nothing to do with ATC, nor movements count, and filing VFR flight plans in the US isn’t super common anyway in 2023.

Also, I’d bet 90% of the arrivals at Oshkosh are not talking to any ATC prior to starting the published VFR arrival procedure for the event, which BTW does not include two way communication with Oshkosh tower unless requested. Otherwise nobody calls tower and only the controllers talk.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Apr 16:41

I tried to book a slot but check-out simply didn’t work and I didn’t get confirmation. I sent email and reply was that they hadn’t found my booking with recommendation to try again tomorrow.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The whole bodged edifice by the cowboy outfit called “Aerops” crashed yesterday, apparently due to many failed payments, so they shut it down and say it will be restarted today 10am German time.

Why did Aerops get the contract again, after the 2022 disaster? I can think of a couple of reasons and they are not related to building a website One is “cultural” and the other is that anybody selling a solution looking for a problem (the aerops landing etc fee payment system; yet another attempt to skim money off the rather thin GA revenue stream) is going to be fronted by a pushy car salesman, not a technician.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One is “cultural” and the other is that anybody selling a solution looking for a problem (the aerops landing etc fee payment system;

My experience is that it would be great to have a way to pay landing fees at any airport via an app. I think that’s their original value proposition. I’ve used it a few times and it worked pretty well.

My day job is managing a team of IT people that support customers who have millions (sometimes billions) of visitors to their websites, and while not “easy”, building a website that can scale out to handle a few thousand simultaneous visitors is basically a 10 minute interview question.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The whole bodged edifice by the cowboy outfit called “Aerops” crashed yesterday, apparently due to many failed payments, so they shut it down and say it will be restarted today 10am German time.

Peter, your continuous (over several years and threads) and one-sided disrespectfulness against that company is appalling. It should be moderated, but well – you’re the moderator, so do as you please.

There is a few companies in European GA that are improving our lives. SkyDemon is one of them, AeroPS another one. Neither company gets everything always right. All of these companies are trying to earn money – much like you and I do, to then pour it into our avgas-guzzling airplanes. Nothing wrong with that per se. I would argue that maybe AeroPS better stay away from the Aero slot booking system pitch – for their own sake. The app for paying landing fees and fuel works well and is generally much appreciated in the German pilot community. It’s also going to be a game changer in establishing landings at unmanned airfields in Germany (see other thread).

Btw. I’m not affiliated with the company, just honestly irritated by the level of hostility displayed here. I did have a beer with one of the founders on a Friday evening in Friedrichshafen a few years back, I think you were sitting at the same table. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Peter, your continuous (over several years and threads) and one-sided disrespectfulness against that company is appalling.

Really?

I am sorry Patrick that your friend had a go at you and got you to post a complaint, given that AeroPS has provided such excellent service at EDNY for last two shows

Yes, I am the mod/admin, but we are a small site, with no advertising income so no paid mods, and like you I am just another user entitled to post my view. I am as bound by the rules here as you are.

I’ve been in GA for ~22 years and have seen so much getting tighter and tighter.

I would argue that maybe AeroPS better stay away from the Aero slot booking system pitch – for their own sake.

I agree 100%. Very basic mistakes there. I am happy you trust them with your credit card details.

honestly irritated by the level of hostility displayed here

Really?

Lots of people are irritated at the various businesses which try to establish themselves as “agents” of various sorts. Myhandling is another. It’s a trend which is generally unwelcome, because the obvious intention is that the “agent” becomes the “sole agent”. We see this everywhere. We even had it at EGKA where some years ago one “business” got established as the sole processor for traffic > 1500kg.

All the time it remains optional, all well and good. I wouldn’t put my money on it though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message