Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 19-22 April 2023

The wx picture changes every day one looks at it

If there was ever a case for not cancelling until the morning, this is it!

The site’s certificate has expired

Well, it happens to the best of us…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

jvdo wrote:

I was planning on flying on Thursday, but the weather doesn’t look great.

Which means more slots!

I sent them a mail asking how they handle people that don’t show up – can we just fly there, and hold over the lake until we get a slot? Will probably be faster than driving for many of us. Unfortunately, the weather on Thursday seems to be showing 60-80% chance of rain. Friday looks ok, and Saturday looks fine.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Very light rain, possibly.

I agree; more slots will be released. The instructions on the website appear to be different between German and English, but the free cancellation deadline is about now.

I used EuroFPL.eu to file a FP which allows an earlier departure (for better wx) while still hitting the middle of the slot. Can’t do that with the AR. The airport doesn’t care when you actually arrive.

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

Indeed, that is an issue especially with long touring leg and unknown wind & routing, I am sure @pilotrobbie know how to deal with these, he goes regularly into COHOR airports and maybe he has some tips

I think it’s best to treat flights like transatlantic, where the flight times each day vary. You could get a difference in flight times by almost an hour.

There’s no key success, but I usually allow 15-20 minutes to arrive on time (but always chew that up departing late….) for the STAR or RNAV arrival which takes you on a guided tour of the city before landing.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Seems like their website is having trouble again.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I reckon that – at least for IFR – the slots are FUD and are done just to keep traffic levels down.

For a start, the IFR control is done by Swiss controllers and have they really got a real time link to the Aerops slot database?

I would expect them to have exactly zero interest in doing that!

There is evidence that I am right

Administrator

Personally, I’m also convinced, that the Swiss have zero influence on the entire event. It’s the DFS and airport management that decides. Remember that EDNY was managed by Austro Control for many years in the past. The “DFS Aviation Services” took over the tower in 2018, which possibly let to a more restrictive regime.

Most visitors will arrive VFR I guess, which won’t cause any work for Skyguide, except maybe a few on the FIC frequency. Those few IFR arrivals and departures won’t make such a huge difference.

Last Edited by Frans at 19 Apr 15:07
Switzerland

This was posted on the German domestic forum

LSZHZPZX
SVC
FOR THE ATTENTION OF FPL ORIGINATOR OF CALL SIGN XXXX WITH
DESTINATION EDNY:
FPL IS SUSPENDED BY ATFCM MEASURES DUE TO SIGNIFICANT TIME DEVIATION
BETWEEN FILED FPL AND PPR, REF AIP GERMANY SUP IFR 06/23.
UPDATE OF FPL OR PPR REQUIRED.

(Unverified source)

Administrator

Quite an interesting flight today. Lots of wx.

Ground speed well below 100kt at times – 50kt headwind

Reportedly the majority of VFR arrivals didn’t arrive. IMC was probably below the terrain N of the airport.

The Aerops slot booking system could have released so many slots. Did they? No.

Swiss approach control very professional.

Avgas turned up in minutes. Minibus shortly afterwards.

The Autorouter GRAMET was basically fiction, as it usually is. Windy.com was pretty good on the general situation. The ADL150 was super and it was really useful in deciding whether to climb or not bother, etc. I used TKS for about 15 mins, but ice on unprotected areas was only 1-2mm. Quite heavy rain commencing immediately at around +2C in the descent.

Administrator

Lots of wx.

Hopefully no undue respect, @Peter, but I see ya all in the clear, so no real problem following your needles, George doing it’s thing, and you maybe taking a nap on the rear bench?
Enjoy the repetitive rip-off, xkus me, should have written the top European show and famous EuroGA „fly-in“, (or does this only qualifies as a „meet-up“?), or Aero

I’ll sure be happy and looking forward to join in on the next real fly-in

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message