Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 19-22 April 2023

There was a fair bit of “tactical work”

I would certainly agree that anybody reading about the thorough way that the organisers of this show have shafted people (lots of good reading in the telegram group which is not going to end up here) tells a story about the state of GA in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would certainly agree that anybody reading about the thorough way that the organisers of this show have shafted people (lots of good reading in the telegram group which is not going to end up here) tells a story about the state of GA in Europe.

Friedrichshafen should loose the Aero in favour of an airport which is willing to accomodate GA. It’s a total scam since years with this slot b.s. and all the rest.

I will not be able to come back there due to family obligations for the forseeable future anyhow, but the last few years I did I always drove from Zurich.

Regardless, the Aero itself was always a very pleasurable event, particularly meeting many people you don’t get to see anywhere else.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sure, but where to host it?

Germany is the obvious place.

Germany is the biggest GA spending country. It is ideal.

There are other countries with a lot of GA (in apparent numbers) but spending is much lower, and much of Europe won’t fly there.

UK has the “right” aviation language but is not good right now due to post-brexit “stuff”.

Switzerland might work.

Nobody will organise it though. Lots of money up front, and the Aero EDNY owners won’t just lie there and shut theirs down.

What is needed is an overhaul of the politics behind all this, and the stupid idea to award the slot booking website contract to the same company which made a complete hash of it last time. But one can see how they got it. They are (a) in Germany and (b) their marketing is huge; they are everywhere. How do they make money off their airport fee electronic payment business? They are spending 100s of k or more on PR.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Sure, but where to host it?

You also need a big exhibition area in immediate connection with an airport…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Peter wrote: Sure, but where to host it?

You also need a big exhibition area in immediate connection with an airport…

Hanover? At Deutsche Messe.

EGTR

The problem I see is that the bar to a new location getting established is high.

EDNY is going to fight, obviously. And to any outsider the hassle to GA pilots will not be relevant. It will be suppressed. And it could be solved anyway, with reorganisation of the system which is obviously stupidly implemented.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The problem I see is that the bar to a new location getting established is high.

EDNY is going to fight, obviously. And to any outsider the hassle to GA pilots will not be relevant. It will be suppressed. And it could be solved anyway, with reorganisation of the system which is obviously stupidly implemented.

Peter, I think that Deutsche Messe carries much bigger weight, and if they are interested, they could easily agree on some special dispensation at Hanover airport for GA people for a week (before, during and after the exhibition). And they also have power and infrastructure to make the exhibition happen and happen flawlessly (they’ve done it on much bigger scale). They question would be: is there enough money in this for them?

And regarding the re-org – I don’t think it would be realistic to expect that anything will happen with the re-org any time soon, sorry for my pessimism.

We could ask the German pilots here about the feasibility…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Hanover? At Deutsche Messe.

As far as I can see it is on the other side of the city from the airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Suppose an ideal situation where the F’hafen airport could receive one GA aircraft each 5 minutes during 12 hours of the day, average occupancy 2, so that’s 1.152 persons over 4 days. this is purely theoretical because prob40 the parking area would not support such an inflow.

The total number of visitors is 33.000. So the vast majority who visits consider it good enough to come by car, train, airline, including Memmingen, Zurich, and prob Basel airport. And then there are some who fly in to some adjacent VFR airfields.

So the organisation of the show probably don’t care too much about those who want to fly to the F’hafen airport. And so don’t need to worry about another venue becoming a competitor. There is no need to have the combination of an airport and a conference center.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Without an airport there would be very few aircraft manufacturers exhibiting.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message