Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting to Hvar LDSH (Croatia)

Brac was unable to accept anybody for parking this weekend

Unbelievable. Miles of tarmac…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think it’s due to the fact all light aircraft are tied down to a single row of hawsers, leaving the apron free for the big stuff!

Peter wrote:

Unbelievable. Miles of tarmac…

I’m parked these days there and it’s really absolutely full. Besides many small/mid-size GA aircrafts there’s G650 parked there plus usual summer charters and some CAT. Pretty busy.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It is EuroGA’s “fault” to have placed LDLO and LDSB “on the map” and the people there acknowledge that

A pity about the Hvar LDSH airfield. It should be suitable for anything with a decent clearance and who doesn’t mind getting their retractable gear full of dirt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Brac LDSB parking is perhaps a bit off-topic, but I totally agree with @Emir. I was there for two nights July 25/26. There were 7 of us and we were all parked from the terminal building towards the south down and around the corner. There was already a line of aircraft, including a PC12 and a Columbia. They parked us immediately in front of them and tied our aircraft down to the “howser” (? is that the cable laying on the tarmac with occasional anchors into the concrete?). They insisted that we needed to leave all aircraft with the brake off in case one of the aircraft behind us wanted out. Sure enough, before we left the airport the Columbia driver announced a departure and they were already busy moving one of our (just parked) planes to get his out from behind before he arrived at the airport. Yes the apron is huge, but the space is mostly reserved for large aircraft (and associated jet blast) so the room for smaller planes is around the periphery.

But that’s not to say that perhaps with a bit of thought and planning more space couldn’t be made available us little guys. Most of us can park nose-in with the tail off the pavement which doesn’t take much space…. just needs a long “circumference” around the outside.

LSZK, Switzerland

Hi from Hvar. The strip is great and a viable alternative to Brac, especially if you balance the costs at Brac with a boat transfer from here.
I see a variety of retractable here, from Cessna RG’s to PC12. There is a Bristell Speedwing RG here currently although the heavy rain over the past few days might cause a departure delay.
I flew my Grob a lot here last season, the same this. Zero prop damage, some dust around the engine ( but not in it!) and of course in the spats. My engineers, Airborne Composites in the UK, have been complimentary about the condition of my aircraft even after having sat out in fairly extreme conditions for 6 months, due in no small part to its superb Vertigo cover set. On that subject I am puzzled to see some aircraft here baking in the heat with either no cover or something less than ideal. A quality canopy cover here is a must.
It’s a super strip on Paradise Island, such a privilege to use it, especially as my house is nearby in Vrboska! Happy Days!

Anyone know if you can land on the old airstrip on Vis?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Sadly not. I would dearly love to fly there and enjoy a lunch in The Aerodrom Restaurant.
It was restored to ‘operational’ a few years back but has fallen into disuse again. The story of the airfields recent history should be on the Net somewhere. ‘Total Croatia’ featured it.
Lots of course on its wartime history. Wouldn’t it be great to attend a fly in in 2025 to celebrate the end of WW2; there could well be some residents there still who were kids and remember the fighters and bombers. Lots on You Tube.

As written above, Vis airfield, despite its great history, is still unavailable after short episode of few landings and takeoffs. I was there yesterday to witness how fast it can deteriorate when neglected – last summer it was still in pretty good condition but now it’s covered with tough weed. Nothing that couldn’t be sorted out quickly but someone should take up the task – it’s not only the engagement on fixing runway but all political stuff related to establishing and running the airfield.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Maybe start a new thread on Vis? What’s its ICAO code?

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message