Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ME/IR and SE/IR

Emir wrote:

What didn’t work? You can revalidate MEP, ME/IR and SE/IR in one flight. Actually, the exam is for MEP and ME/IR while SE/IR is credited if you have valid SEP. Whoever told you different is definitely wrong, at least under EASA.

That is right, Emir. I know that you can have your revalidation of ME/IR and SE/IR at one shot, if you have both valid. But I have only ME/IR.
Anyway it was worth a try.
I need to arrange a SE/IR skill test now.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

OK, so I have received this interesting answer from the authority.
Question was:
I have valid
IR (A) / ME, MEP, NVFR, SEP.
IR (A) / ME and MEP first obtained in 2020
what do I need to get SE/IR?

Answer was that I should have requested the SE/IR when I first received ME/IR.
As a consequence I need to complete the course as per appendix 6 of the regulation: “IR — Modular flying training course”

I am quite shocked. Not only I need to take a skill test for SE/IR, but take the whole course again…?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

As a consequence I need to complete the course as per appendix 6 of the regulation: “IR — Modular flying training course”

This is incredible…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

robirdus wrote:

Answer was that I should have requested the SE/IR when I first received ME/IR.

I am quite shocked. Not only I need to take a skill test for SE/IR, but take the whole course again…?

Try moving to another EASA authority? AFAIK if you have MEIR, then all you need is some sort of a checkride, and that is it.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

then all you need is some sort of a checkride, and that is it.

Yes, that is what I hope. I have asked an other question now:
“So is my understanding correct that to obtain SE/IR I need to pass a skill test with an authorized examiner?”
Waiting for the answer.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

If you never had SEIR you may need SEIR skill-test…getting SEIR from MEIR initial test varies, UK used to allow this but I know France does not

Some arguments are like: they are separate ratings during initial tests, you did MEIR in DA42 you can’t fly SET under IFR, let’s not talk about what you need to do IFR in Push-Pull like C377 Skymaster, most IRE/ME fly A320 and they never flown SEP under IFR, MEIR ATO does not even have single engines…

However, I am surprised you need SEIR course? (you only need it for SEIR to MEIR upgrade for asymmetric syllabus)

Once, you have SEIR & MEIR, you can cross-credit in twins, this is EASA rule, it’s on initial tests where things are not crystal clear and every authority does as they are pleased…

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Oct 16:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

IIRC when I did training for ME/IR with valid SE/IR it was just 5 or so flight hours. I don’t see why would the opposite route require more training.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

IIRC when I did training for ME/IR with valid SE/IR it was just 5 or so flight hours. I don’t see why would the opposite route require more training.

This looks like an omission in part-FCL. It is stated that if you have a SE/IR you can get a ME/IR with a limited amount of extra training (it may be 5 hours as you say), but it says nothing about the other direction. Possibly the people who wrote it could not imagine that situation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This looks like an omission in part-FCL

It is an omission for initial tests and various NAA interpret it as they wish

I have seen “IR-SPA-MEIR\ClassSE” on licences, I think it means SEIR obtained with valid SEP or SET + MEIR initial test? I have no idea how it differs from “IR-SPA-SEIR”…

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Oct 21:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

IIRC to add an MEIR to an SEIR does indeed take about 5 hours as long as you already have an MEP rating. Its then not really a skills test at the end.of the 5 hours more of a checkride to include things like assymetric flying.

France
Sign in to add your message