Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Hi JayBee, try Hugen Aviation Oxygen in Zevenaar.
I will send you contact name / phone number in a PM…

Last time I got my MH cylinder refilled at a scuba shop, the shopkeeper told me he would not be able to refill it again as soon it would have to be inspected. He said he wouldn’t be able to do that with my cylinder as it had been stamped with US markings so it could not be returned to use in Europe.

There is a lot of revenue generation going on in the oxygen business, and scuba shops are among the worst. The latest scam I have come across is pretending that standard air cylinders marked “ground use” (e.g. for paint spraying) need to be tested every 2 years instead of every 5 years, because (they claim) you could rub off the marking and go scuba diving with it. I pointed out to them that you could buy your own compressor and sidestep the whole business…

Last Edited by Peter at 22 Jun 21:59
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

15 eur for a full MH bottle fill in a diveshop in Belgium.
Plus an interesting talk on gasmixes and diving.

Euroga should get a commission on MH system sales …

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

For your information
Yesterday used for the first time my MH set up. I was quite happy to have it, my A/P wouldn’t engage !@$% (so I was not looking forward to fly 2 Hrs in IMC) and in order to stay above the clouds in the blue and avoid some icing (FL80<>cloud tops) I had to climb initially to FL120 however around Munich that wasn’t enough neither and I pushed it to FL140. OAT was -10 Degrees. Once over the mountains as usual things cleared up from the Hungarian side..
I bought the two person EDS system with two smaller Alu bottles (two valves) of a total of 4 liters (22Hrs one person @FL150). This gives me a compact set-up that I can put btw the two back seats and it allows me to monitor the eds and manage the bottles. Having two bottles and two valves gives me some redundancy …I saw some awesome Ground Speed also was doing 195 Kts with 11.5 Gallons/hr…

Last Edited by Vref at 22 Aug 13:42
EBST

Oxygen filling adapter

I’m looking for an adapter from ¼” NPT thread to 3/8”-24 UNF-2B thread, complying with the Standard AN 10089-3 to fill my oxygen cylinder of my TBM700. Anybody has an idea where I can buy it? This must be a flanged pipe with a 3/8"-24 UNF cup nut. Attached is a picture of the filling port.

¼” NPT thread can be male or female.

EDQH, EDDN, Germany

Hi Manfred, you can try these guys: http://www.subaqua-products.co.uk
I’ve had email contact with them in the past and they were quite helpful.

Actually that is a good contact because they made the oxygen refill hose mentioned here

90% of the problem in these things is recognising the fittings with certainty.

I would not mind getting a short refill hose to go from my 540-thread MH cylinders to whatever refill hose is used for refilling bizjet emergency oxygen – mentioned here

Also doing google/images on say “3/8”-24 UNF-2B” digs out a number of makers of the fittings. But anybody who can make oxygen hoses can do that too.

Administrator

Peter, I have already been in contact with the mentioned companies, but either they don’t have at all this adapter or when they have it, there is a CGA thread at the other side. This is the US standard for oxygen. I have already a pressure regulator and hose with NPT 1/4" thread. This is the German standard for oxygen. Mountain High has a complete filling system with pressure regulator hose and adapter, but I would have to buy it completely, since all threads have US standard CGA540. Also the ports at the oxygen cylinders are different, German oxygen cylinders have 3/4“ RH thread and US have CGA540. Indeed Mountain High has an adapter for the cylinder port, but as mentioned I would have to buy all again.

Lenthamen, thank you for the hint to the scuba diving shop. Indeed they have adapters with 3/8”-24 UNF thread, but they have only adapters with normal female or male thread with O-ring seal. I need an adapter from 1/4” NPT male thread to a flanged tube with cap nut 3/8”-24 UNF as depicted at the attached picture.

Last Edited by Manfred at 21 Feb 09:37
EDQH, EDDN, Germany

Manfred – can you post a drawing like the above, showing the entire assembly which you are after, and then I can ask some people about it? The problem with thread descriptions is the ambiguity.

Administrator

That looks like the connector in my Cessna and the only source I found back then was Mountain High. I purchased their expensive transfilling arrangement with a DIN connector on the other end.

If you can land in EDTH, I can give you some quality oxygen

Sign in to add your message