Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Just as comparison, same procedure (hydrotest) for scuba tanks costs approximately €30.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

They rip me off 2x that here. GBP 30 for testing the cylinder and another GBP 30 for – wait for it – testing the valve. When I tell them I can buy a new cylinder online for that (this is a small cylinder, used for e.g. tyre topoffs or airbrushing) they shrug their shoulders. They also ignore the “ground use only” sticker on it (which entitles me to a 5 yearly test instead of 2) saying I could peel it off and go scuba diving with it. So I keep a full size scuba cylinder, tested every 2 years, and refill the other(s) with a transfer hose.

That kind of bull is one of the reasons I keep my own oxygen refill cylinder…

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Apr 07:48
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to go slightly off thread, I was wondering if anybody has experience of the “pendant” type oxymiser? The one that sits on your chest rather than the moustache type.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

I asked the same question some time ago, but apparently nobody had any direct comparison. There is probably very little difference and it’s more a matter of taste.
The pendant type is probably a little more “disturbing” overall, however, the moustache type can be ever so slightly uncomfortable. It also sometimes gets messed up when eating…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have one of these (given to me by a kind pilot) but haven’t tested it yet because it can’t be tested without gluing it to the headset itself, and I don’t want to do that until I have time to do it properly. It’s obvious that it will “work” but the comfort/practicality remains to be tested.

The oxisaver/oxymiser “moustache” cannulas are OK (Justine and I flew with them for a few years) but they don’t deliver good oxygenation above about FL160 unless you turn the gas flow way up. But if you don’t want to spend $800 on the (vastly superior) O2D2, it’s the best option.

Administrator

Can anyone realy fly with “convinient” cannulas mounted to earphones mentioned above? My wife refused it just after she tried it at home. I’ve used them in couple of flights and finally decided, that conventional cannula is much much more convinient. E-Z cannulas skip out of the nose and I always have to put them back.

Overall, O2D2 solution works great for me. The have wonderful customer service. They forgot to include one important hose in parcel, but after request shipped it in the same day with the fastest shipping method.

EVCA

Just received my O2D2 system. Will test it after I’ll find the way to refill it :)

pshz: Where did you buy it? Europe?

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Chris

AFE are a dealer in the UK

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=O2d2&osCsid=38ae32aadc038be4c31a5b691493af40&x=-647&y=-46

Just as a single data point: I use the headset mounted cannulas with mine and find them much better than the “over the ear” type. If anyone is passing Cambridge and wants to see them, please let me know.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 04 Jun 06:38
EGSC

@chrisparker Sorry for late response. No, it’s directly from MH Oxygen. I’ve paid all customs duties offcourse. Transportation was US$330

@Jonzarno I think, it depends on personal preferences. As mentioned above, after 2 flights I found them not convinient and now using conventional cannulas. Perhaps, I’ll try them one more time later, when back home.

And, I’ve got one more question. About dogs. I presume, there’s no O2 solution for pets. What is the maximum safe altitude for dogs?

EVCA

What is the maximum safe altitude for dogs?

I know what the minimum safe altitude is for cats: low earth orbit

Administrator
Sign in to add your message