Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Where do folk get your oxygen bottles filled? I used to fill mine at the local airfield but that facility no longer exists.

Thanks

J

Scuba shop.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Shop which fills bottles for medical supplies (and yes, still a lot cheaper than getting it done at the field).

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

The answer depends on the cylinder fitting. Is it DIN or CGA540?

US cylinders are mostly 540 and scuba shops in Europe mostly can’t fill them.

Scuba shows (which carry oxygen – most don’t) can usually fill DIN, but only if they “like you”.

If it was filled at an airport facility it is probably neither of the above two unless somebody has an adaptor.

If you can post a photo, Johnny, that would narrow it down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry no idea what the fitting is but will look into it and try and post a picture. Thanks for the replies. Sorry about my appalling spelling above “used”/ use to. Bad english all the same.

Oxygen Finger Monitor

I have been wondering about getting a simple portable oxygen measuring device. I don’t have/use oxygen but do fly airways at up to FL100 and wanted to understand if an how much it is affecting me

There seem to be a range of similar devices for around £20/€30 on Amazon, all with good reviews, not specifically for Aviation use.
Is there any specific recommendation or feature to look out for?

Having taken some readings, what’s “normal” versus “good” or “poor”? I don’t recall reading anything much about it in the IR theory course, apart from the general symptoms/effects of hypoxia and air law. How often would you take a reading in normal flight.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Any will do. >90% is good and less is bad but compare the value to your typical ground value, some people have a lower base value.

I bought one like this and it works fine on the ground but in the air it doesn’t. I think it has problems with the vibrations (cannot fit the finger well) and I was only able to get a value after about 10-15 attempts – not something you want to have while flying. So I think the cheap ones are not good and not worth it.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

What I would look for is one with a proper on/off switch or button. Some of them auto-detect the finger and IME are unreliable. I bought a very expensive Nonin one years ago (about £300) which did that, and it’s dead now.

The cheap ones should work OK. I tend to not buy the absolute cheapest but the last one I bought, 2014, was a Nonin Go2 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, £78.00 from Amazon, and it works perfectly

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing to look for is the orientation of the screen. Most are meant to be read my medical personnel, so have the screen oriented towards an observer (i.e. outward). You want to be able to read the values yourself, so the screen orientation has to be inward, towards you, or switchable. Recently bought one and didn’t think about that….

Sign in to add your message