Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Is GP usable on a smartphone e.g. S6-size? What format do the terrain and airspace warnings get emitted in (beeps or voice)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry for coming back late… been flying most of the day (between visits of the Jepp event at EDFE)…

Maybe my memory doesn’t serve me well. May things have improved recently. Could someone check GP and see if it has for example the following UK airfields now?

-Bolt Head airfield / Salcombe
-Eggesford
-Pent Farm
-Abergavenny
-Fishburn
-East Fortune
-Knockbain Farm
-Lamb Holm

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bolt Head airfield / Salcombe -yes, SAL2
-Eggesford – yes, EGG1
-Pent Farm – yes, PEN1
-Abergavenny – yes, ABE1
-Fishburn – yes, FIS1
-East Fortune – yes, EAS1
-Knockbain Farm – no
-Lamb Holm – yes, LAM1

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

-Bolt Head airfield / Salcombe YES
-Eggesford YES
-Pent Farm YES
-Abergavenny YES
-Fishburn YES
-East Fortune YES
-Knockbain Farm NO
-Lamb Holm YES

By yes I mean in database with location (I havent verified exact location).

EGTK Oxford

boscomantico wrote:

Could someone check GP and see if it has for example the following UK airfields now?

-Knockbain Farm
-Lamb Holm

Only the latter 2 are missing, the others are in.

achimha wrote:

Only the latter 2 are missing, the others are in.

Lamb Holm is there – LAM1

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

OK, looks like they ARE actually listening.

Knockbain Farm is a real farm strip, so that omission is excusable.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I would suggest that the majority of “XYZ Farm” places would prefer to not be listed in an app which purports to indicate runways on which people can just land

A large % of these are running on the 28 day rule, or were at one point but never applied for the certificate of lawful use (entitled at the 10 year point but not done to avoid drawing attention) so are strictly PPR, and what we might call common aircraft types will be absolutely refused anyway. For example Deanland told me they will never allow a TB20 to land there. At 457m grass I would not go there anyway but in the right conditions it would be safe.

What is far more important is for GP to show airspace accurately – because VFR pilots today rely totally on these apps and if you do a CAS bust the UK CAA won’t give a t0ss whether you were flying with SD, PFMS, GP, a compass and a stopwatch with Douglas Bader in the RHS, or a ham sandwich. They will give you an online tutorial followed by an online exam with 20 questions which mostly don’t relate to the tutorial and which are out of a 20+ year old PPL nav QB (with a number of consequently duff questions) which is time-limited to 15 mins (45 seconds per question, which requires a considerable deftness with the slide rule) and if you fail it, which is highly likely, you get 3 options, all designed to make you think 10 times before you fly a plane again let alone go near CAS. God help you if you commit the high treason for a second time. Then they wonder why some large % of UK GA turns off their TXP…..

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Knockbain. Note power lines. There’s now a wind turbine to the right of the hangar.

[video URL fixed – correctly?]

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Is anyone else having a problem with the French VFR approach plates in GP?
It looks like they messed up somehow when they parsed out the SIA PDFs and made them georeferenced, rendering them nearly unreadable and impossible to see the visual reference points.
The first pic is what I see in GP and the second is the original SIA (via Sky Demon).

Last Edited by Patrick_K at 26 Jun 16:01
EGTF, LFMD
Sign in to add your message