Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

The new version of GP 8.8 now tracks all your flights and stores in the logbook.

EGTK Oxford

Now that the Android version has been available in Europe for a while, how does it compare with iOS? Has anyone found any bugs or stability problems?

Possible arguments for changing to Android include limited availability of iPad Mini, tendency of iPad to overheat, and wider choice of Android device screen sizes.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

What appears to be the latest user manual is here

It makes interesting reading.

As usual it is the detail for Europe that matters. How are the maps coming along (e.g. UK Class A airway and TMA depiction especially this) and is it any good for any of this?

Since the above manual was done, an interface to the Autorouter is now built-in so no more copying/pasting of IFR routes, presumably. But hopefully they have retained the free text flight plan facility so that some backup routing tool could be used.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the typical UK VFR flyer, it is rather useless anyway, because – since they are using Jeppesen aeronautical data – they miss most of the unlicensed airfields.

Therefore, when I wrote my article half a year ago, I didn’t really look any much further into the details of the airspace depiction in the UK. I did for France, Italy, Austria, etc., and if you really looked into the nitty gritty details, there were several omissions and errors. This was half a year ago, but I doubt much has changed on that front. They just don’t seem to look that far into the details (as, admittedly, Skaydemon and EasyVFR do). Therefore, for intensive VFR flying, I still wouldn’t recommend it, despite the recently added features.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jun 10:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A couple of screen shots from the recent update – hopefully you will find them useful in continuing the discussion. As an aside, I used GP in conjunction with a G1000 NXi yesterday; absolutely fantastic for IFR work.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

they miss most of the unlicensed airfields.

That is an unfortunate omission for the UK, where a lot of airfields went unlicensed as soon as PPL training was allowed in these. Some regretted afterwards the lack of CAA protection from neighbour sabotage (growing trees at the end of the runway, etc)….

But that would not bother me. It’s the airspace I want to see right.

Thanks Dave for those airspace shots. They seem to have got them right.

Administrator

The uinlicensed airfields all appear to be there as well.

Fly safely

I wonder why Bosco said they are missing? Were they added recently?

Administrator

I’ve been using GP for over a year and North Weald EGSX (unlicenced) has always been there. I don’t know about smaller stuff in the UK.

Peter wrote:

I wonder why Bosco said they are missing? Were they added recently?

I don’t think so. There’s various settings where you can hide airports depending upon their size and range from you. To me, the only thing lacking is graphical NOTAMs.

Fly safely
Sign in to add your message