Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

alioth wrote:

you might be walking around and generally vertical, but trying to do anything that requires any thought is slow and exhausting

Sounds like pretty normal behavior

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

alioth wrote:

I know it’s just anecdote, but every person I know who have had a symptomatic case has been off work (including WfH) for 3-5 days due to the symptoms which have included fatigue and brain fog (which isn’t uncommon with viral infections, I’ve had viral infections in the past with these symptoms – you might be walking around and generally vertical, but trying to do anything that requires any thought is slow and exhausting). It’s hard to do any work which requires concentration with the typical mild symptoms. These people all of course had delta. Perhaps the omicron variant doesn’t give you ‘brain fog’.

I’ve known of a few who’ve taken a few days off work, but that was generally connected to how easy or otherwise it was for them to take a day off. In this respect I think Covid is little different from other respiratory illnesses – those who usually take a few days off for minor illnesses will do so, and those who don’t won’t.

Conversely a guy in my team had a symptomatic case last week and he didn’t take any time off, but of course he works from home anyway.

Then of course the majority of cases are asymptomatic and go undetected. If they were all detected then self-isolation would bring businesses and organisations to their knees – the ‘pingdemic’ as it was described earlier this year would have been much worse.

Testing is a game of seek and ye shall find. More tests = more positives = more people self-isolating. There are sound economic and social arguments that people ought not to take tests unless they have symptoms, and even then the logic for taking a test is questionable unless they are seriously ill and the result becomes relevant to their medical treatment.

EGLM & EGTN

LeSving wrote:

Sounds like pretty normal behavior

Yes I was going to say, that’s me even without Covid!

EGLM & EGTN

Another infectious disease. From Chinese “Global Review”:
“And for Xi’an, Chinese analysts said that the city faced the dual challenge of cluster COVID-19 infections and the spread of hemorrhagic fever, an acute infectious disease characterized by fever, bleeding and renal damage, which can lead to death.
Health experts said that the early stage symptoms of hemorrhagic fever also include fever and coughing, similar to COVID-19, which could put pressure on early diagnosis or testing.”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

HFRS – Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome. Been around in China since the 1930s. Transmitted primarily by rodents, if you google it you will find any number of articles about prevalence and management. It does. It does not significantly travel from human directly to another human.

If we now start to get our knickers in a twist about every deadly disease in the world, we will walk like John Wayne for the test of our lives.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 23 Dec 23:45
Biggin Hill

HFRS is known in the west as Hantavirus. It’s quite common in southwest US, transmitted indeed by rodents. Every cabin in the Death Valley national park has a warning about it. As it happens my brother wrote a Pop Sci book about it a few years back.

LFMD, France

@Graham, see attached the book cover of my favorite Christmas present this year. You are apparently not alone in the UK (even if you might like to be more often!)

Wonderful UK humor. It describes the decades over which the movement has grown. My favorite is the necessity for a permit to change a light bulb, but throwing Grandma into a paddy wagon for protesting authoritarianism is pretty good too.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Dec 20:50

@Silvaire thanks for the recommendation – I have ordered it. Seasonal felicitations to you and your good lady wife.

EGLM & EGTN

There is an app, for Italy it is called VerificaC19, which you can use to verify your QR code. This app is the official one used in Italy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just wanted to bump this thread. I mean, six whole days! What’s wrong with us?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message