Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Fits pretty much with the reports we had in my immediate surroundings.

8 folks got it from a mini-outbreak in one organisation. 2 non-vaccinated, 6 vaccinated. All 6 vaccinated (double at the time, booster was not yet available) were back at work within 10 days. One non vaccinated was back after about 6 weeks, the other one is still not back (was beginning of Nov), long covid by the looks of it.

Those who went through it vaccinated reported cold symptoms, loss of taste (some ongoing) and extreme fatigue with moderate fever. The one unvaccinated did not elaborate on the time he was ill, but states he still has loss of smell and taste. The other one is still unfit for work due to fatigue and possible long covid.

Silvaire wrote:

I’m standing by on whether to get a Moderna booster shot.

Won’t do any harm but will make you more resistant against Omikron infection. I did get the Pfizer booster (as they did not do cross vaccinations here at the time) my wife got the Moderna one. Non-affair, no side effects.

What I am getting from the virologists here, the discussion degradation and efficiency focuses mainly on infection itself, where research has shown quite a massive degradation of effectiveness after a relatively short time. Protection against severe illness and hospitalization is said to be much slower to degrade. So quite a bit of the panic posts by click-bait press is massively misleading on that and very counter productive, suggesting that Omikron protection at all is down massively for those “only” 2ce vaccinated, but is correct only with regards to actual infection and symptomatic cases. For me, a good enough reason to get it.

The economy has the concern that due to the massive risk of infection, Omikron may cause staff shortages, which it already does. In the aviation industry there is an accute shortage of staff and the same goes for health services.

My wife told me that they also have the problem that people who loose their sense of smell can not work as air crew, as they need to be able to smell e.g. smoke or other stuff. This has apparently aggravated the staff shortages there, for people who are recovered but still have that effect.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Jan 21:57
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I got quite bad side effects with the second Moderna shot, which doesn’t exactly encourage me to get the half-dose booster. The worst headache that I remember having, and so on. I’m not saying its representative of anything, but it is factually true that the side-effects I experienced were worse than the illness my wife had with CV-19 itself, and which I didn’t catch from her.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jan 21:56

Silvaire wrote:

I got quite bad side effects with the second Moderna shot, which doesn’t exactly encourage me to get the half-dose booster.

FWIW my wife had pretty similar reactions to the 2nd moderna shot, but none safe for a bit of pain in the arm after the 3rd.

One doc I talked to recently sais that the Covid vaccines are not the only ones which need 3 shots to be fully effective, he mentioned the vaccination against illnesses caused by tik bites, which also requires 3 shots 6 months apart each. Thereafter however, immunity sets in for life. Whether that is true for Covid as well remains to be seen.

Cobalt wrote:

the majority of other causes of deaths kill primarily the elderly and weak.

Graham wrote:

So does Covid-19, for the umpteenth time.

@Graham, did you read the full sentence? This was EXACTLY my point. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough – comparing fatality rates for of all other causes of death with Covid deaths is roughly like for like as both kill mostly the elderly and weak. ISTR I did a calculation early on that Covid-19 roughly doubles ones chances of death in each age group.

@BeechBaby, to which I responded, claimed that Covid-19 is minor compared to all other causes of death… which is clearly wrong.

Peter wrote:

The general CV19 thread has now moved to this one. Why? We did all the same stuff in that thread already.

I think the general thread is about the facts and what they mean, while here the discussion is about what should or should not be done. Quite a natural split, methinks.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

I think the general thread is about the facts and what they mean, while here the discussion is about what should or should not be done. Quite a natural split, methinks.

And the politics involved too. So I agree with @Cobalt

@Mooney_Driver, hey, we have to agree on something ;-)

Biggin Hill

Well, I am not always right, but I moved the posts back anyway

Interesting picture emerging in the UK – similar to what S Africa has been reporting for ages. Stratospheric infection numbers, but few getting seriously ill, very few dying, and a discovery that an Omicron infection delivers backwards-compatible immunity against all the previous variants, suggesting that this is the endgame for CV19 now – unless/until some new variant comes along. Public policy is to deny this but it’s been more obvious every day, for a week or two. The booster (the 3rd vacc) is strongly protective from bad symptoms, illness, or worse.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

we have to agree on something ;-)

LOL, I thought we did most of the time anyway.

@Cobalt my sincere apologies, I completely misunderstood your drift.

EGLM & EGTN

On the facts – sure. But on what I informally call the " @Silvaire / @Mooney_Driver " scale of freedom, I (like @Graham who could easily have replaced @Silvaire as a namegiver, but I think he was there first… ) am a a LOT closer to his than to your end…

Last Edited by Cobalt at 05 Jan 22:25
Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message