Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

for short journeys, a taxi is cheap enough

I wish this were usually true. I made the mistake of using a taxi to go the 3 miles from EGBJ to Cheltenham station – the round trip in a taxi cost more than the landing and parking fees that I was charged by the airport for staying Friday – Sunday! In fact, last time I went to Gloucester, I hired a car – it was cheaper to hire a car for a weekend than it was to take a taxi to the station and back. Unfortunately I think the taxi drivers think anyone going to EGBJ must be rich and is charging a premium over and above what they’d normally charge for a 3 mile journey.

I did ask around here about folding bikes but I think it’s probably going to work out better just to take the wheels off my road bike and put it in the back of the Auster (I’ll be able to ride further and much faster).

Andreas IOM

for short journeys, a taxi is cheap enough

The taxi costs are actually an issue. Sometimes the taxi must already be paid for the run into the airfield, which can increase the price.
I remember once I had ordered a taxi to the airfield but did not get one: “We are sorry, but there are no taxis available this time.”
For that reason I prefer to carry the Brompton. And there are some more advantages: Sightseeing in unknown cities are much more effective riding a bike. And after a long flight it is a pleasure to move the legs.

Berlin, Germany

Have a look at this. Could be the answer to the perennial question: “now I’ve landed, how do I get to town?”

“the” answer? Implying there exists a “one and only” answer?

Compare the slightly wealthy to the sligthly less wealthy – every pilot-owner has a certain budget, both in money and in payload. Usually, these converge.

Last Edited by at 02 Sep 18:19
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

A pretty blunt ripoff from the Birdy. Uses the same swivel points.

I also have two folding bikes but this German company is about to introduce car sharing at many airfields. I have used them three times so far and it worked out perfectly. It is affordable, much faster than a normal rental car check out and available 24/7. By the way they just placed a new car at Portoroz airport:

https://www.app2drive.com

I think they deserve all the support they can get.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I use this folding MTB.
I electrified it to speed up the airport transfer :-) Could not resist to pack in a bit more power than normal e-bikes.
It fits in the back of the 172 but only just. The Helix looks nice.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Just been to Paris, and there were loads of people on these: http://www.fastwheel.net/

As a cyclist I like the idea of a bike, but when space is limited these seem pretty neat too, and not very different weight-wise.

kwlf wrote:

Just been to Paris, and there were loads of people on these: http://www.fastwheel.net/

Maybe I’m lazy or a bit thick, but from looking at that website I can’t figure out what that is. I see subways, cars, and unidentifiable gadgets with wheels when I click on “products”. Plus the claim “Best or Never”. But nowhere any useful info on what this is, or a video or anything.

Welcome to the 21st century! Do NOT buy by figures, buy by sentiment!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message