Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

What you need is one of these

Judging by the pictures I’m about 5 years too old, and nowhere near trendy enough for one of them…

EGEO

That unicycle is pretty awesome though. If jwoolard is too old then I definitely am.

EGTK Oxford

They’re on sale right now – only £449. I’m going to spend the rest of the day persuading myself I don’t need one…

EGEO

What you need is one of these

I’ve never tried one, but seen them in action and these things are awesome! Would definitely make a great ground transport solution for GA.

Can it be charged from the aircraft easily?

Otherwise, it’s not much good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If only one had an inverter in their aircraft……Oh, hang on!

EGTK Oxford

My brother has one of these electric unicycles. I have had a go.

All I can say is that for every pound spent on the machine, you need to spend another pound on protective equipment, pads, helmets etc.

To say they are difficult to use is a massive understatement; even my brother’s 12 year old son finds it a well nigh impossible feat of balance.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It is easy enough to achieve a 230V mains supply in an aircraft. I have used a 300W inverter to power e.g. an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyser for vibration measurements. The inverter could be “velcro attached” to keep it “legal”.

The trick would be the usual one: how do you know it will not interfere with comms or other systems. I played around with a Thuraya satphone holder (the Turkish-made Sat-trans one for the 7100) whose built-in power converter completely wiped out VHF comms. I spent much time building filtering for it but it never worked. For all you know, this monowheel thingy radiates about 10 watts of broadband RF while charging. If it has the obvious motor (3 phase AC inverter driven brushless) it will be radiating like the BBC while going along (except with better quality programme material) but at least it won’t be running while in the back of the plane.

This is a really big problem with charging “stuff” from a plane in flight.

I have a multi output power supply for powering / charging stuff like Ipad, the Lenovo tablet, micro-USB stuff like phones, etc, and I built an absolute tour de force filter in there, and the damned thing still radiates on some VHF frequencies. There is a switch so if I get interference I turn it off. It is turned off for any approaches of course.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not so far had interference issues and don’t turn off the ipad charger for approaches. But if I did I would just pull the inverter breaker.

EGTK Oxford

All I can say is that for every pound spent on the machine, you need to spend another pound on protective equipment, pads, helmets etc.

I see people in suits (no helmets or other H&S gear) using these things all the time, so it can’t be too hard. Am gonna try one myself – LOVE the concept!

Last Edited by 172driver at 09 Feb 20:09
Sign in to add your message