Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lithium fire - what would you do?

I have never been overly keen on carrying these unnecessarily, so when I decided to look for a “power brick” type device I went for the Zendure because it seems to be the only one which comes in a solid metal case which should reduce the biggest risk with lithiums which is mechanical damage.

This is the A3

It costs quite a bit more than others of the same spec (though reportedly many of those on Amazon and Ebay are fakes anyway) and works really well. I think the 30-40 quid price is low enough to be irrelevant.

Tests show that – as expected – it tops off a typical modern smartphone about 3 times, and it took an Ipad2 from 15% to 75% while it was running with the screen on which is pretty good for use as a last-ditch measure; it did that in about half an hour.

It also doesn’t have sharp edges.

I carry the fireproof bag used by model aeroplane flyers, which should contain a battery on fire…

Anyway, this data point may be useful.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just been reading a load of speculation in the usual places about the EgyptAir disappearance which was preceeded by ACARS messages possibly related to window heating elements, and sure enough there was an AD on the Airbus concerning window heater connectors which caught fire.

Most of us don’t have electrically heated windows (I used to know a 421C pilot who had them – cost £20k each) but what about a lithium battery in say an Ipad catching fire?

It’s been reported that airline cabin crew have instructions to shove such a device in a galley oven, which being all-metal and obviously insulated will contain the fire.

I don’t have an oven but carry a “LIPO fire bag”

which takes up almost no room. A bizjet pilot friend of mine turns out to carry one too.

Administrator

How do you get a burning iPad from the cockpit to the galley oven?

Peter wrote:

but what about a lithium battery in say an Ipad catching fire?

Throw it out the window.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Opening a door at speed might be fun, or impossible.

My plan is to put the plane on autopilot (if not already) and at 100kt select full flap, and at the onset of stall open the door and chuck the thing out. But if the door comes off you might lose the vertical stabiliser…

Administrator

We have LiPo safe bags on every aircraft. And a pair of oven gloves to handle the hot/burning gadgets. The alternative procedure is to throw the hot/burning device into a catering box (they are made of aluminium) and pour into it every drop of liquid available, even coffee and hot water are good for extinguishing burning electronics.

Last Edited by what_next at 22 May 21:57
EDDS - Stuttgart

Fire extinguisher?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Water is more effective than a halon fire extinguisher.
There is an FAA Video on this.

United Kingdom

How great is the risk to GA of lithium battery fires really, in comparison to other risks that we accept?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the main risk is during charging. If some protection fails and a cell is getting too hot, you risk the thermal runaway.

United Kingdom
83 Posts
Sign in to add your message