Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

Tricky problem… The diagonal is 1900 mm overall length, which is tight. My first thoughts are (1) that taking the front wheel off might be OK, but removing the forks and reinstalling for use on a standard bike is probably too big a job, and that (2) a 125 is not useable on motorways (particularly two up) unless traffic is sparse.

Scooters tend to have shorter overall length because of smaller wheels. Surfing the net I came across this brochure from a Taiwanese manufacturer that I’ve never heard of…. But regardless the overall length of the 150 cc model is about right. Weight is 107 Kg. Might be food for thought.

http://www.peirspeed.com/sunset.htm

If I think of anything more useful I’ll post later. I’ve been riding and fooling around with motorcycles a lot for 40 years and currently have eight, one posted in Europe for use there.

There is an American product, for homebuilt/experimental aircraft only, which is a kind of a “fold-out crane” (can’t think of a better description) and which enables a motorbike to be stowed inside the aircraft, or underneath it, and one person can easily move it in and out. I have seen photos of it and they may even have been posted here.

I could never move a 100kg item myself

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You mean this one?

MotoPOD LLC

[yes – URL fixed up :) ]

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Nov 08:14
Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

It looks like they got a pod for the Cirrus.

United Kingdom

I have a “GoPed”. It fit well in the Warrior, but i am not sure if it will fit in the Cirrus

Can we persuade EASA to approve this?

Much nicer to arrive with a proper road bike than a Brompton or one of those electric things!

EGEO

I carry a full-sized bike with the front wheel off in the back of a Grumman Tiger with the rear seats folded down, and there’s enough room for more than one. Now looking to get my hands on the lightest motorbike I can find – something like an old Suzuki RG50 or GS50.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Can we persuade EASA to approve this?

Sure. How much are you willing to pay for this? You just need an aeronautical engineer, a design organisation and money to pay them.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It would cost 6 figures at least to get this approved as an STC. Think of the required flight testing…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What you need is one of these

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message