Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

I have never quite seen the point of a gizmo that propels me at brisk walking speed, I’d rather walk briskly instead. Let’s face it – most of us probably need all the exercise we can get…

Biggin Hill

@Cobalt – the Q3 does 12mph. You must walk fast. Will be great doing that speed on the pavement in London!

I think you must look pretty silly doing it. I get it in places with bike lanes. Riding one of those in London would like signing your own death warrant.

EGTK Oxford

I have been looking at this thing for a while. Price is too high still, but this will be perfect.
Solowheel
I’ve seen a couple of people use it in real life, in the street, and it can handle curbs and small climbs. Orbit model weights 4kg, can do 15km at 16 km/h…

EGTF, LFTF

Solowheel

That website must have had a record low in information/hype ratio.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
EGTF, LFTF

Looking at the battery range of these devices, I can’t say they provide any significant advantage over a bicycle. So, for a small fraction of their price, one can get one of these:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I think I have calculated and tested an underwing-bike stc faster than learning to handle this wheel anything close to praticabliity…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Or for 100% less, walk and have less chance of breaking your wrist.

EGTK Oxford

I have looked at various bikes and have always decided to not do anything, because

• they are all pretty heavy; say 10kg, which is difficult to get out of the TB20 boot opening, not because the hole is small but because you have to slide it in and out horizontally
  • none are OK for travelling say 30km (well one can but then one needs a shower )
  • for short journeys, a taxi is cheap enough
  • if you don’t want to ride it, say in a shopping area, it’s a hassle (locking it somewhere, etc)

The electric ones are interesting but none of them have much endurance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If it has the obvious motor (3 phase AC inverter driven brushless) it will be radiating like the BBC while going along (except with better quality programme material) but at least it won’t be running while in the back of the plane.

This may be so, but probably not at frequencies most people care about. These motors (and MUCH more powerful ones than are allowed on a road legal power assist bicycle) are used on RC helicopters and planes, and they don’t cause a problem with 35MHz, 72MHz nor 2.4GHz systems (even with the absurdly interference prone and cheap PPM systems).

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message