Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 non WAAS Upgrade alternatives...

Peter wrote:

Is suspect no shop will do the config though, unless they are friendly and are happy to do it off the books – because if the aircraft TC does not support this, they can’t do it officially.

Of course the Ovation’s TC supports WAAS and any avionic shop can and will do the upgrade. Most I know will try to source the receivers but are happy if you find them first, they then will do the install and config.

Peter wrote:

What do you think the 20-30k is for? It isn’t for a GIA63W box The mfg cost of a GIA63W is probably 100 quid.

That is true for ALL avionics, without exception. And yes, the price of the G1000 upgrade is outrageous, but so are prices of navigators and other stuff which is protected by certification. The additional thing for the GIA63W today is that it is basically rare and therefor worth it’s weight in gold so to speak.

As you well know I fully agree with you with regards to buying a G1000 plane, it would have to be a real good deal and a real good airplane for me to become tempted. There are enough alternatives. But in the end, all our certified avionics and other parts are outlandishly expensive simply because the manufacturers can get away with them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Non SBAS (non WAAS/EGNOS) navigators can do +V if the firmware is later than a certain version, fairly recent.

I don’t know if a G1000 can be updated to such a version.

Some info in these threads.

@Peter, AFAIK you need a newer model for +V, so GNS430W/530W models or GIA63W, so standard one doesn’t do it…

EGTR

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If the rest is that fantastic, then negotiate a price which reflects the upgrade. It IS feasible and the price of 30k is pretty much that what everyone who has done it has paid.

It’s non listed aircraft, but up for sale.

The seller will sell it with a broker that said they could sell it for X EUR and the seller can accept less.
Problem is that the seller bought it for too much I think, and now he hopes he can “earn” a little on it.

So even if he can accept less, when I add 30-40K EUR then it gets to expensive.

The asking price is right if he had a WAAS installed, and if I should buy it he has to lower it with 30-40K eur of his asking price (Less than the broker thinks he can sell it for) and then the seller will loose money on it.

So I think he will try the market first, before he even consider it.

I have to wait until something other comes up, I think it might be harder to sell today and the following months.

• Don’t like to talk prices, but if anyone is interested just send a PM then I can tell more.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

s I don’t know the airplane you’ve been looking at, the clear and easy alternative is to go for an Ovation (or other airplane) which is not G1000. There all you need to do is replace the main GPS and voila.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As I don’t know the airplane you’ve been looking at, the clear and easy alternative is to go for an Ovation (or other airplane) which is not G1000. There all you need to do is replace the main GPS and voila.

I found a nice Ovation that I consider, and it’s fully equipped for IFR.

This G1000 Aircraft just came up this weekend at my home airport when it was visiting.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

arj1 wrote:

Or replacing everything with G500TXi+GFC+GTN?

I’ve heard/read that the G1000 is part of the TC, so it cannot be replaced by something else (such as a G500+GTN) without a major specific STC, which the G500/GTN STCs don’t cover. They cover replacing steam gauge instruments.

ELLX

We did that here.

AFAIK the argument is ultimately purely money.

Every G1000 can be removed. You need a certification route for whatever it is replaced with. In the GA world, people don’t want to spend the money. In say the TBM/KA world, people routinely spend 100k+ on an STC. There are loads of e.g. G600 STCs in the turboprop world, which were done with 6 digit costs, to replace stuff like the old Honeywell EFIS-40 system (which is now maintainable largely by buying bits off Ebay and generally off the books).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Darkfixer wrote:

Looking an Mooney that has Garmin G1000 without WAAS.

As a fellow Swedish pilot…..don’t do it.

If you want to fly any kind of IFR practically, especially in Sweden, you HAVE to have “WAAS”. I would only look at it, with not only a vision, but a fully ready plan to upgrade avionics directly after the purchase. Could be quite an interesting, high-risk exercise in many ways, but of course there might be a solution.

ESOW, Sweden

AndersB wrote:

As a fellow Swedish pilot…..don’t do it.

If you want to fly any kind of IFR practically, especially in Sweden, you HAVE to have “WAAS”. I would only look at it, with not only a vision, but a fully ready plan to upgrade avionics directly after the purchase. Could be quite an interesting, high-risk exercise in many ways, but of course there might be a solution.

I agree with what you write Anders, and sadly this plane was very nice.
I think my answer to the seller will be, upgrade it with WAAS and I pay his asking price.
But then again that probably won’t happen.

When I tough I found my dream plane…

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

We are all aiming for perfection when buying a plane, but in reality it cannot be achieved and anything secondhand is likely to be a can of worms.

Or even brand new: the avionics warranty bill on my new TB20, 2002, came to about £100k! For a year I was not able to do long trips, due to concern about what was going to break next.

Since 2002 I have never needed LPV and never changed any planned flight because I don’t have LPV. Much more important is a good autopilot which flies approaches, and especially ILS (the ultimate lifesaver) well.

If I was buying a TB20 now, my main concern would be corrosion and other general mechanical condition. LPV would be way down the list, and I do fly abroad more than most GA pilots.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Non SBAS (non WAAS/EGNOS) navigators can do +V if the firmware is later than a certain version, fairly recent.

I don’t know if a G1000 can be updated to such a version.

I am not aware of any TSO C129 systems that do +V.

KUZA, United States

OK; what I meant was that the SBAS signal is not needed to get +V.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message